ISO Snacks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SurvivorGirl

Sous Chef
Does anyone have any good ideas for (afterschool or whatever) snacks? I keep drawing a blank, I'll stand in my kitchen for the longest time just sorta staring at the fridge wondering what the hey to have!;)

preferably something that wouldn't take long to prepare, and something that wouldn't need to be made ahead of time (i.e. popsicles) becuase I never get around to making those types of things thinking...'yeah this will be great for tomorrow'. :rolleyes:

anyway, any suggestions would be good. thx!!

We would always have apples with peanut butter; cereal; graham crackers with frosting; popcorn.

I'm with Angie on the snacks. Some others that we have . . . baby carrots w/your fav dressing (i.e., Ranch, Blue Cheese), smoothies don't take very long to pop in frozen fruit & over-ripened bananas, cheese & crackers w/fruit. I'm gettin' hungry! :-p Hope this gives you a few more ideas!:)

How about a homemade "trail mix" Using your favorite nuts, dried fruits, maybe a crunchy cereal. And oh! maybe some tiny chocolate morsels. Think of all the possiblities. Make a big batch and zip lock. It will be waiting for you when you get home.

Enjoy!!

One my kids all love and now the grandkids are enjoying it as well. Take a taco sized flour tortilla,cover almost to the edge with your favorite kind of cheese broken into tiny pieces ( it melts faster) zap it til cheese is melted and runny, about 35 seconds.roll like a cigar put on folded paper towel so it doesn't run and enjoy..Be careful they get pretty hot:LOL: My favorite cheese for this is pepper jack..

kadesma:)

When our teenage grandson was still here, he most always brought friends home with him, as the other "mothers' were working. They'd come in the door after football practice asking "G-ma" what there was to eat. Boys that age can't be satisfied with raw vegies and dip. They might eat some on the side, but they want bulk!
Chips, sodas, lemonade and chocolate milk were a must, but that was just a start. When I had balogna, ham or sliced turkey from the deli, 3 boys would easily go through a whole loaf of bread. They loved the frozen Totino's Pizza Rolls :sick:, and I always kept cheap frozen pizzas on hand. Sometimes I'd spread flour tortillas with re-fried beans and grated cheese, pop them in the oven until the cheese was melted, and cut them in bite size pieces.
My husband always has venison salami made from part of his deer kill, and the boys could go through half a stick of that, a half pound of American cheese and a box of Ritz crackers in no time.
The ubiquitous blue box of macaroni and cheese was always a hit, especially if I cut up a a couple of hot dogs in it.

I did get them to eat a few healthier things...such as bananas, white seedles grapes, and chunks of melon, especially in the summer, after football practice. Surprisingly, most of them also liked cottage cheese, with just salt & pepper.

That sure was a good time.

kadesma said:
One my kids all love and now the grandkids are enjoying it as well. Take a taco sized flour tortilla,cover almost to the edge with your favorite kind of cheese broken into tiny pieces ( it melts faster) zap it til cheese is melted and runny, about 35 seconds.roll like a cigar put on folded paper towel so it doesn't run and enjoy..Be careful they get pretty hot:LOL: My favorite cheese for this is pepper jack..

Yeah, I'm not the only one making these! If you have thin deli meat you can also put a slice on it too. The pepper jack would certainly perk them up.

My younger son got hooked on pot pies. He puts it on a microwave safe plate face down and removes the tin. Then he microwaves it for about 3 minutes on medium power. It's funny how they turn out flat. But they are good for a quick bite.

kadesma said:

They say great minds run in the same channels. You posted yours while I was composing mine. :LOL:

kadesma said:

Count me in on this one as well!

if you mean something you could just make up from scratch, i have an idea!!
You coulddo what i usually do and take what ever you like, and make a soup with it. put it in a pan with some water, and go from there, you can do this with many things, i've eventried it with different candies(which i dont recomend)!!!!

GotGarlic said:
I like to make little pizzas in the toaster oven with toasted bread, Ragu pizza sauce, and mozzarella cheese.

We would do this with English muffins.

I like garlic and herb cream cheese spread on a cracker and topped with a thin slice of salami. This cream cheese is also good spread on a soft pretzle.

Someone on here once mentioned mixing flavored yogurt and whipped cream together to make a dip for fruit. I make that when I want a healthy snack.

Sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar on buttered bread and toast. You can also do this on a tortilla and pop in microwave then roll, it will be runny but delicious.

kadesma said:

These are a TNT snack. And everybody likes making their own. My son made one on his way out the door and his friend is now eating them too. :)

StirBlue said:
These are a TNT snack. And everybody likes making their own. My son made one on his way out the door and his friend is now eating them too. :)
Aren't they good? We all love them. I make them for lunch at times when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to wait for things to cook and put them together..Today, Ethan wanted a hot doa and i had no buns, so I grabbed a flour tortilla a hot dog which I cooked the hd in the microwave, then warmed the tortilla with some cheddar cheese, spread on a little mustard, rolled the hot dog up in it and Ethan ate every bite and asked for a second:LOL:
kadesma

Since it is the end of school days for this year, I wanted to put some convenient snacks in the fridge. I was thinking that cheesy hotdogs would be good. OM is the only one making them so that requires coupons to fit into the budget. I'll make plain ones in a cheese filled tortilla. (THANKS)

I was really surprised when I could not find any cheese & chicken nuggets. The stores used to make their own and they were really good. I bought some banquet plain chicken and they were small, dry and hard. I'll just have to make some of those. I think this is going to be a finger food summer.

Back
Top Bottom