Cloudy to Clear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, you know how sometimes you put on a pot of stock and then forget it and it boils itself cloudy before you remember it? Well I did that a while ago, and today I decided to add stuff to it. I added a diced raw chicken breast and some veggies. So, now, the broth is clear not cloudy. What happened there? This isn't the first time I've noticed that this happens when I add raw chicken to cloudy chicken broth.

Scientists? Any explanation? (Dumb it down for me a bit please! Thanks!)

Not sure but here's a guess.

When making consumme, you clarify the stock with ground meat and/or egg white. Perhaps the added protein precipitates the suspended particles that are making the stock cloudy, and causes them to sink to the bottom of the pot.

...or, for the Alix version, the chicken gobbles up all the little cloudies and poops them on the bottom of the pot.

Andy M. said:
Not sure but here's a guess.

When making consumme, you clarify the stock with ground meat and/or egg white. Perhaps the added protein precipitates the suspended particles that are making the stock cloudy, and causes them to sink to the bottom of the pot.

...or, for the Alix version, the chicken gobbles up all the little cloudies and poops them on the bottom of the pot.

:huh: Umm, that was just not the picture that I wanted at lunch time!!:LOL:

Me either, considering I'm eating a bowl of said soup right now! :LOL:

Andy, go check your karma.

Andy is right, I think .... at least the first part of his post.

I think the raw protein attracts the other stuff, like a raft.

Alix said:
OK, you know how sometimes you put on a pot of stock and then forget it and it boils itself cloudy before you remember it? Well I did that a while ago, and today I decided to add stuff to it. I added a diced raw chicken breast and some veggies. So, now, the broth is clear not cloudy. What happened there? This isn't the first time I've noticed that this happens when I add raw chicken to cloudy chicken broth.

Scientists? Any explanation? (Dumb it down for me a bit please! Thanks!)

Did you reheat the overboiled stock and then add ingredients? Not sure of the question. First I would take a look at the stock - was there any fat in the stock? Over boiled liquid/stock can develop a scum on the top i.e. cloudy or the liquid reduced possibly making it thicker & cloudy. I would watch the pot, and go from there. Adding raw chicken - has the fat & skin been trimmed/removed?

Last edited:
Hey mish, OK here's the scenario. I made the stock and froze it. At that point it was nice and clear. I pulled it out for the family to have for dinner the other night and it got boiled and turned cloudy. (No scum) So today, I decided that I was going to add veggies and more meat and make it into a hearty soup for myself. I noticed that when I added the diced raw chicken breast that after it had cooked the broth was no longer cloudy, but had cleared up. Not the first time this has happened to me, so I wasn't surprised, I just wanted the scientific reason for this. Oh, and the chicken breasts were fat free, and the stock did not reduce. Just got cloudy from getting the crap boiled out of it the other night.

Alrighty. Let's see. You cooked & froze, yes? Honestly, I would get a defatting cup. You will use it over & over again - it will skim all the fat & make your meals healthier -- probably less cloudy? A scientific explanation - not me :LOL: I just want a good meal.

Its pretty much fat free. I always chill and remove fat before freezing. I think Andy hit the mark with the protein binding and precipitate thingy. I'm NOT going to repeat the other version! LOL.

Or - Tell what's his name, the murky guy, to stop hovering over you when you're in the kitchen. :mrgreen: :ermm: :LOL: j/k

in a sense you did make a flash consomme

but if you initially make the stock and do not boil it, it would not have become cloudy

in asian restaurants when a broth is made it comes up to a boil then turned down or off and any scum is skimmed off and bones removed
extended boiling with any protien will result in "protien poopies"

lawd, did i just type that?

Back
Top Bottom