Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Your eating style - relaxed or frenzied? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/your-eating-style-relaxed-or-frenzied-3544.html)

luvs 10-19-2004 12:17 AM

Your eating style - relaxed or frenzied?

i'm as extreme a leisurely eater as you could imagine. my whole family is like this, i think because we ate at the table as us kids were growing up and spent just as much time chatting and laughing and griping as we did eating.
sometimes i'll leave my plate and then realize like 15 minutes later that i was eating. (i fully blame the blonde highlights for that! :D )
this can pose a problem at restaurants when i'm out with my boyfriend. but he's learning that a meal out means at least an hour at the table and an hour or 2 at the bar. it's taken 5 years, but he's finally pacing himself as he eats his meal.
it's not so much an isssue when i'm with the ladies, since we all kind of spend more time gossiping and reminiscing and laughing and sipping margaritas than we do eating.
so, do you eat like someone is gonna steal you plate away from you or does it take you an hour to finish a steak? either way, why? time constraints, or a calm nature?

Juliev 10-19-2004 12:18 AM

If I am working at home.. it's very relaxed... if it's breakfast before I leave for work, it's a quick pop tart, etc.

SizzlininIN 10-19-2004 01:10 AM

luvsfood.........I was always the last to leave the table....slow eater. But I have to confess my littlest one is worse than me. I would rather enjoy my meal where hubby devores his......his head basically doesn't come up till the plate is clean, which can be frustrating and embarrassing at times. He's aware of it but doesn't seem to make an effort to change. But I guess with is work he only has 1/2 hour for lunch and has to go out to eat so he's rush rush and can't seem to adjust when he's at home or out to eat. But I love to go out to eat and take my time and chit chat and thoroughly enjoy the meal. Thankfully when we went out last Friday we went to Red Lobster and had their all you can eat shrimp so by the time I was almost done with mine he was still working on his second helping. I think we were there for like an hour now that I think about it and the service was pretty quick..........hey chaulk one up for hubby maybe he did slow down and come up for air :D

luvs 10-19-2004 01:50 AM

i can identify, sizzlin.
i have to kick my love at fancy restaurants and at the sushi bar when he gets too enthused about eating. we'll be all dressed up in our nicest clothes eating things we can't pronounce and he'll start devouring it. he often gets that look that means, 'i am going to SCREAM if you don't STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!!! http://webpages.charter.net/connectingzone/mad/32.gif
(that look)

masteraznchefjr 10-19-2004 05:47 AM

i am a fast eater im always on the run lol, but if im with like family and friends i would be eating slowly and relaxed

crewsk 10-19-2004 08:48 AM

Normally I'm a slow eater(I love to savor & taste food) but if I find myself running late for something, I tend to rush through my food.

brandy 10-19-2004 08:51 AM

eater

Im usually very relaxed. I tend to eat in front of the tv in the kitchen..When in a hurry I eat standing up.
Brandy

middie 10-19-2004 08:53 AM

slow eater here too. i hate scarfing food cause then i end up not feeling to good.

GB 10-19-2004 09:09 AM

I actually fall into both categories. Sometime when the food is just sooo good I find myself eating pretty fast. I can't wait to taste the next bite. When I realize I am doing this then I do try to slow down. This usually only happens when I am only with my wife for some reason. When we are with a group of people and there is a lot of conversation then I tend to slow down quite a bit.

AllenOK 10-19-2004 10:06 AM

When I was a teen, I had a reputation for putting away a lot of food, fast. As a result, I've had a pot belly ever since I was a kid.

Around about the time I turned 20, I realized that my eating habits weren't really healthy. I made a concious effort to slow down my eating, and to eat only what I needed, not to just "pig out".

Nowadays, I try to eat slowly, and relaxed. I want to enjoy my food.