How are those beach picnics coming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Lou and I enjoyed our first weekend down the shore last week. Weather was beautiful, 88 degrees, but the water was a bone chilling 54! It was like little heart attacks every time we went in. It was impossible to actually swim. We both agreed that if we'd been on the titanic, we'd have fought our way onto life boats.

We picniced, as usual. I made muffelettas with olive salad straight from Central Grocery in NOLA. We also had canteloupe slices, lemon cookies, cheese and pumpernickle crackers and a bottle of white merlot.

We're headed back again tomorrow, and I'm undecided what to pack for lunch. We're usually on the sand from 10am till about 3pm.....

I'm open to suggestions, and always open to company. Anyone near Belmar, NJ? It's only exit 98 on the parkway, just an hour from home!

VeraBlue, I love reading your post, please keep them coming. I laughed when I read what you said about fighting to get into the life boats.:LOL: Enjoy your day on the beach, knowing you, what ever you take will be delicious.

Is it too early for those famous Jersey tomatoes? probably. when they come in, just bring some salt and pepper shakers and a nice hunk of buffalo mozz and some more white merlot. Oh, and I guess a roll of paper towels.

In the mean time, how about some nice boiled chicken and a fabulous cold dipping sauce? Pick the carcass and dip pieces in the sauce. Red grapes from the cooler to go with it. Maybe a little Boston lettuce to wrap the diped chix up in. Fewer paper towels needed that way.

Okay, this is where we're at, at this point...besides a bit of a buzz....:angel:

Uncle Bob, I took the shrimp idea and ran with it. I have a thai shrimp (marinated in coconut, basil, cilantro, chili pepper, and lime), a dipping sauce of cream, coconut, basil and lime. I also made basmati rice with a bit of coconut and cilantro, tossed with rice wine vinegar and chili oil. I grilled a few ears of corn, and off the cob, tossed that with diced cucumber and red onion, honey and cumin. I have linzer tortes for dessert.

Mudbug, I love the idea of cold chicken at the beach. Actually, any cold poultry is perfect. We did duck once last year and it was magnificent.

The tomatoes are just tiny yellow flowers at this point. I'm all for picking them off the vine in the morning and tossing them into the picnic basket.

I wish any of you would join us....

Uncle Bob said:
What no Margaritas?? Jimmy would be soooooo disappointed!

uh...who's jimmy??? ah Jimmy Buffet, yes?? He'll have to wait till dinner for that. The wine is easire to deal with on the beach, xoxoxo

Yes, Jimmy Buffet....Mix them at home. use a thermos (or two or three) glasses, salt, ice from the cooler.

I'll fly over and wave...watch for me!;)

Uncle Bob said:
Yes, Jimmy Buffet....Mix them at home. use a thermos (or two or three) glasses, salt, ice from the cooler.

I'll fly over and wave...watch for me!;)

Were you the one in the helicopter?? Your margarita idea is a very good idea. I have a feeling the alcohol content would be greater than the wine, though. Still....the next time I use cilantro in a 'down the shore' recipe, I do believe I'll bring a batch of margaritas.

No I was in the small plane around noon....The alcohol would be at higher levels for certain. Margaritas + boiled shrimp were made for each other! Some things are just that way!

Uncle B, can you fly over here and pick me up? Then you can dump me on the beach with margaritas for Vera!!!

(Its 4:15am here as I type this, jetlag su**s!)

Love the beach vera and Bob, but around here, the water is too cold, same as jersey vera, only a bit colder. Around July or August is good for us for a picnic and a swim/boogie boarding. We frequent OOB (old orchard beach) in southern Maine.

redkitty said:
Uncle B, can you fly over here and pick me up? Then you can dump me on the beach with margaritas for Vera!!!

(Its 4:15am here as I type this, jetlag su**s!)

Miss Kitty

Plan "A", is doable, however I think Plan "B" is better; I fly over, pick you up, we fly back and parachute two liters of Margaritas to Miss Vera, then up to pick up Miss Amber then on to the Bay Area and have our very own Margarita Beach party. Hopefully Miss Mish, Miss Jkath, Miss Dove, Miss Lefselover, well you get the point everyone on the 'Left Coast' could join us in the City By the Bay that would be temporarily re-named MargaritaVille! :LOL:

:ohmy: I already am thinking a 'Right Coast' Party! Then the Grand Finale!
A 'Southern' Beach party! So what do you think? Plan A or Plan B??;)

I'm all for any party, anywhere. The only plane I saw at noon was dragging an ad banner behind it extoling the virtues of some bar and their better than average happy hour....

Come to think of it, that had to be you:LOL:

VeraBlue said:
I'm all for any party, anywhere. The only plane I saw at noon was dragging an ad banner behind it extoling the virtues of some bar and their better than average happy hour....

Come to think of it, that had to be you:LOL:

:ROFLMAO: Naw..Not me. I did see the plane you mentioned. He was 500 I was flying at 1000. Thank you for thinking of me so fondly however!:ermm:

:LOL:

Uncle Bob said:
Miss Kitty

Plan "A", is doable, however I think Plan "B" is better; I fly over, pick you up, we fly back and parachute two liters of Margaritas to Miss Vera, then up to pick up Miss Amber then on to the Bay Area and have our very own Margarita Beach party. Hopefully Miss Mish, Miss Jkath, Miss Dove, Miss Lefselover, well you get the point everyone on the 'Left Coast' could join us in the City By the Bay that would be temporarily re-named MargaritaVille! :LOL:

:ohmy: I already am thinking a 'Right Coast' Party! Then the Grand Finale!
A 'Southern' Beach party! So what do you think? Plan A or Plan B??;)

Alcohol is prohibited in Malibu. So... I'll have to get 'loopy' with you on da plane Uncle Bob. :rolleyes:

mish said:
Alcohol is prohibited in Malibu. So... I'll have to get 'loopy' with you on da plane Uncle Bob. :rolleyes:

Here we go Loopty Loo
Here we go Loopty Li
Here we go Loopty Loo
All on a Saturday night!

Don't worry Miss Mish! Is Andy still the Mayor? If so everything will be cool:cool:
If not we will sneek it in...mo fun that way anyway:ermm:

;)

Back
Top Bottom