How to clean cast iron with food gunk.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
I just used my new cast iron stove top grill, ya know the kind where one side is flat and the other ridged. I now have burned food build up on it...day old and cold and hard.

How do I clean cast iron, i have read that i am not supposed to use soap; but can i use a metal scrubber?

Try putting some water on it and letting it soak. Then use a plastic scrubby to dislodge it. You can also try some lemon juice and salt to scrub it with. Since it is new, even if it is a pre-seasoned grill, you may just have to get it off and then re-season with oil and heat--which you need to do anyway each time you use it.

Miss Jessica...

The key word in your question is "New" cast iron grill....The more you use the grill the more seasoning it will aquire just from everyday use. This seasoning is what causes the cast iron to be, over time virtually none stick. Those few times that food does stick it is best to remove it ASAP and not allow it to sit and get hard. Caution! Do not take a hot piece of cast iron from the stove to cold water in the sink. More times than not it will cause the iron to crack. While the grill is still slightly warm, go to the sink and use HOT water and a wash cloth or a plastic scrub pad.

Oops! Miss Jessica

You did "season" the new grill before use right? If not start over and season the iorn per the manufacturer's instructions...

Enjoy!

An effective method for cleaning cast iron with cooked on food is to burn it off. That is, the next time you are grilling outside, throw your grill onto the cooking grate after you are done cooking. The intense heat (should be 550 F. to make this work) will have the same effect as does a self-cleaning oven. After letting the heat do its work for about 15 minutes or so, let the grill cool, along with the pan. Then the ash residue is easily cleaned off. Oil the pan again and store it.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I scrub mine with a wad of aluminum foil. Love cast iron - wish I had taken my grandmother's when it was offered to me years ago. Little did I know what a treasure it would have been.

to clean cast iron, heat your pan/grill over med-high heat for a few minutes. While its heating get yourself some coarse salt, a pair of tongs, an old towel, and a little bit of the cheapeast cooking oil you have. Pour enough oil on to cover the surface of the pan. It should smoke a little bit, but not burn. Sprinkle some coarse salt (no more than 1/4 cup) onto the pan. Then, with a heavy towel or oven glove pick up the pan and with the other hand pick up your old towel with your tongs. Now use the old towel to scrape the salt around the inside of your pan and scrape it against the food bits. They should come off with just a little work.

I prefer doing it this way, because not only does it get the job done, but it keeps your pan well oiled and well-seasoned.

Rule number 1 of cast iron: keep it away from water!

Clean the outside of the pan with commerical oven cleaner. Let set for 2 hours and the accumulated black stains can be removed with vinegar and water.

I would say rule # 1 is keep it away from soaps. #2 if you must use water, make sure it is dang HOT and scrub pan quickly. dry well and oil llightly.

The salt system works very well. (assuming you didn't make cinnamon sugar fried apples in the pan)

I have had a Dutch Oven for many, many years...I never use it because the lid rusts and so does the inside..I guess I didn't season it right the first time..and it is so darn heavy!!
My sis in law gave me two cast iron frying pans..about saucer size and two large fry pans..if soap is a no no ..do i just use water and wipe fry with a paper towel?
Marge

Hot water, a stiff, plastic scrubber, and paper towels. Be sure to put a degreasing soap such as Dawn in the sink and fill with a couple inches of water. Use the running water in the pan, as hot as it will get, and scrub with the brush until clean. Let the water running out of the pan mix with the soapy water. This will imulsify the grease and keep it from cloggin your drains. Dry the pan with a paper towel, rub lightly with oil or shortening, and store.

If the pan is seasoned properly, it will clean up easily.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

the salt technique and the bbq methods work best
using any harsh abrasives like steel wool(or similar) and/or soaps are no-no's
if you do so it will rust even if you dry it well unless you set it on a burner to dry and then you still lose the non-stick properties you aquired by seasoning it

Ordinary dish washing detergent (Ivory, Dawn, ...) is OK to use with a plastic scrubber. It will remove oil and grease (duh) but it will NOT remove the carbon layers (seasoning) unless you scrub/scrape it with metal (steel wool/spatula). After washing, it is imperative that you immediately towel dry it thoroughly and warm it on the stove to evaporate all moisture. Never use automatic dishwasher detergents.

Soap is ok only if the pan is well seasoned. If it isn't, wait until it is to use it.

I use soap all the time on mine when it's needed.

Make sure you dry CI very thoroughly though.

Dove said:
I have had a Dutch Oven for many, many years...I never use it because the lid rusts and so does the inside..I guess I didn't season it right the first time..and it is so darn heavy!!
My sis in law gave me two cast iron frying pans..about saucer size and two large fry pans..if soap is a no no ..do i just use water and wipe fry with a paper towel?
Marge

Marge, to get rid of rust I use a paste of baking soda and water. Usually works fine.

The Way I (Re)Season Cast Iron

A new cast iron cooking pan or grill needs to be seasoned well to clean up easily. I personally season 2 or 3 times before using for food. But you can also re-season inherited or yard sale cast iron that has rusted. Believe it or not, you just sand the pan! When I bought my "new" Five Star commercial style oven, the grill top had been allowed to rust badly by the previous owner. I used an orbital sander all over the cast iron in 3 progressive grits - coarse to fine - and it came out shiny and silvery-gray like new cast iron. Then I seasoned it several times with peanut oil (less smoke) in a 500 degree oven for 2 hours at a time with cool down in between. Then the surface is very non-stick and ready to use. After your pan is well seasoned, you can clean it rather like a pan with non-stick coating except you never soak it in water. While still warm, wipe out all the gunk you can with a paper towel and then use a little water and dish soap with a nylon scubbing pad to clean anything remaining. Rinse quickly with hot water and then dry pan completely. Never allow to air dry because rust will form and you'll have to start all over again. I hope this helps.

Thanks all. The pans my S-I-L gave me are many many years old so they won't be a problem. The dutch oven is so big that just for me it is a waste.
Marge

I always put water back in the skillet and bring it to a boil. Do that a couple of times and then scour with salt. Works like a charm. I would never put soap in my precious cast iron cookware.

I just learned about the salt method a few nights ago watching Good Eats... I really think it is a good idea and plan on trying it the next time. I normally just wipe it out and put it up, if it is really dirty, just a light wash with soap and water and dry immedately over heat. Try not to scratch the inside surface!

Back
Top Bottom