Dutch Oven Monday Nights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
Since my buddy Ken and I both get off work on Monday's at 11:30, our wives decided that we should have a dutch oven meal everyMonday because we have the time to prepare it. Ken and I have no complaints, because we really enjoy doing it.

Last night we had Cornish Game Hens with the Banana Dump Cobbler for dessert. Everything turned out wonderfully. The recipe for the hens calls for using a meat thermometer, which we did. But to be perfectly honest, I have more faith in just wriggling the wings to check the tenderness.

Next Monday will be Swiss Steak and homemade biscuits. :D

Cornish Game Hens

Use a 14” deep dutch ( a 12” will work too)
Use 18 coals on lid in ring around edge
Use 10 coals on bottom in checkerboard pattern
Trivet
Oven Thermometer
4 Cornish Game Hens
1 Box Stove Top Stuffing
¼ to ½ teaspoon ground sage
1 can (14 ½ oz.) chicken broth
Poultry seasoning
Salt and pepper
Paprika
2 cups hot water
¼ cup cold water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
toothpicks

Mix the Stove Top dressing according to directions on box except use chicken broth in place of the water and add ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground sage. Set aside.

Clean Cornish game hens and stuff with dressing. Truss up hens with string and toothpicks.

Mix poultry seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper (all to tatste) together and sprinkle over chickens.

Place treivet in dutch and add 2 cups hot water. Place hens on trivet with breast side up. Place oven thermometer in a chicken. Bake until thermometer reaches 190 degrees. Remove hens from dutch.

De-glaze bottom of dutch.

Mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch with ¼ cup cold water and slowly pour into liquid in dutch to make gravy.

Attachments

• Dutch5.JPG
    Dutch5.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Dutch7.JPG
    Dutch7.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 176
Golfgar4 said:
Since my buddy Ken and I both get off work on Monday's at 11:30, our wives decided that we should have a dutch oven meal everyMonday because we have the time to prepare it.

Your wives sound like pretty smart ladies! :)

Oh, they are. They are! ;)

They both work until at least 6:00 p.m., so we'd be getting dinner ready anyway. We might as well be having some fun with the DO's while we do it.

Hmmm. This sounds interesting. I'm off every other Friday. This might be a great thing to start doing on those Fridays.

outdoorcook said:
Hmmm. This sounds interesting. I'm off every other Friday. This might be a great thing to start doing on those Fridays.

It works GREAT as long as the weather cooperates. We lost last Monday because of very high winds. But what's great about it is that it kind of forces you (like I gotta be forced! ;) ) to do some cooking. Anything as an excuse! :rolleyes:

Half Baked said:
Garry, I think that's wonderful and the food looks super! :LOL:

Thanks! It's fun, and so far, we've great successes! The really fun thing is that we always try new recipes we haven't had before. So it's fun, it helps improve our cooking skills, and we're eating mighty fine too! Can't get much better than that. :)

Back
Top Bottom