ISO help/recipes for cooking ham in crockpot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
Have you ever cooked a ham in the crockpot? I have a Smoked Pork Shoulder Picnic Half Bone In. It is 4.27 lbs. It is going to fit into my oval 5qt. crockpot.
I have seen a recipe were you just rub it with brown sugar. Some of the reviews were great and some of the people said that it turned out awful. Do you have a TNT recipe that you are happy with and will share with us?

In my experience a "Smoked Pork Shoulder Picnic Half Bone In" cooked in a crock pot is going to yield a very tasty pork roast best suited to pulled or shredded pork. Is that what you're aiming for?

picnic hams are favorites for boiled ham and cabbage, so it should work well in a crock pot...add a little broth to help it on its way.

skilletlicker said:
In my experience a "Smoked Pork Shoulder Picnic Half Bone In" cooked in a crock pot is going to yield a very tasty pork roast best suited to pulled or shredded pork. Is that what you're aiming for?

This is the web site were they are talking about the ham; just wondering if this is how you cook yours in the crockpot. And how it turned out.

Slow Cooker Ham - Allrecipes

JoAnn, even though I included the word "smoked" in quotes I really didn't notice it. I've never cooked a cooked a cured pork shoulder.
The following from The Cooks Thesaurus Ham page helped me understand the difference.
picnic ham = picnic shoulder = pork shoulder picnic ham Notes: This is cured like a ham, but cut from the hog's shoulder. It's not as tender and lean as a true ham, and it cooks much quicker. It's a good, inexpensive choice if you want chopped ham for soups and casseroles. Substitutes: city ham OR Boston butt
I'm sorry I misunderstood.

JoAnn L. said:
Have you ever cooked a ham in the crockpot? I have a Smoked Pork Shoulder Picnic Half Bone In. It is 4.27 lbs. It is going to fit into my oval 5qt. crockpot.
I have seen a recipe were you just rub it with brown sugar. Some of the reviews were great and some of the people said that it turned out awful. Do you have a TNT recipe that you are happy with and will share with us?

Joann,

I've used the recipe you're referring to a couple times. I was extremely pleased with the results. In fact, I had people ask me what I did both times I made it for a church meal. Give it a try!

Corinne

Corinne said:
Joann,

I've used the recipe you're referring to a couple times. I was extremely pleased with the results. In fact, I had people ask me what I did both times I made it for a church meal. Give it a try!

Corinne

Thanks Corinne, I will give it a try this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out for me.:chef:

I had a recipe that called for wrapping the ham in aluminum foil and cooking it on low for about 8 hours. No liquid or anything. It was a fully cooked ham and it was great. I'd forgotten all about it.

Back
Top Bottom