ISO online source for Pink Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
My fish market is the only place that carries them $$$$. The supermarkets only carry imported Tiger Shrimp that taste awful.

We had the same problem here in VA, Jeeks. Only tigers, which I agree are awful. We are beginning to get decent shrimp here now because all the local grocery stores are trying to outdo each other in upscale products.

Google for New Orleans or wild American shrimp and I'll bet you'll find a source.

One of our local chains is carrying Emeril's US caught shrimp. It's much more expensive than the imported stuff.

I found a couple in the Carolinas. One actually sells "Wild American Shrimp", but you have to but like 5 lbs.

I'll keep Googling :)

Andy M. said:
The packaging I see always states the contry(s) of origin.

I think the fishmongers are required to do this now, Andy. Good thing for us. But when they're displayed loose on the ice bed, not always so easy to find out.

I'm a firm believer in asking the store manager for stuff they don't carry or don't display. It gives them first-hand info on customer desires. If enough people ask, it will start to show up on the shelves.

mudbug said:
just be careful - when you see "Gulf" shrimp, it could be Gulf of Thailand (tigers)
there are thai white shrimp
a much more superior shrimp to the tigers
the thai restaurant i worked we used 40 pounds a week

mudbug said:
I'm glad to be corrected, obiwan! Anything is better than those creepy tigers.
i've always hated them since they first flooded the market back in the eighties
they shrink too much and randomly mushy
i love white shrimp as when you bite them they are "crisp"
the shrinkage is minimal and the smell is clean

obiwan9962i love white shrimp as when you bite them they are "crisp" the shrinkage is minimal and the smell is clean[/quote said:
Can't ask for more than that!

Nevertheless, I'd still like to give my shrimp money to the boys down on our Gulf Coast first.

mudbug said:
Can't ask for more than that!

Nevertheless, I'd still like to give my shrimp money to the boys down on our Gulf Coast first.
well i am in canada but i firsted used US gulf whites while i was working in the States
it's economics
US whites are 12.75 a pound here while thai whites are 10.50
that is for 21/25's

mudbug said:
Good thing I don't have to run a professional kitchen and worry about bulk buying!

I'll pay a little more without whimpering.
lol
well
even for private consumption, i use whatever whites i can find
most places in canada will not offer US seafood
the best crab i get is from thailand although it is a US brand

Jeekinz said:
My fish market is the only place that carries them $$$$. The supermarkets only carry imported Tiger Shrimp that taste awful.

Jeekinz, I see you're in Joisey. Have you tried the Fulton Fish Market in New Yawk?

THE NEW FULTON FISH MARKET AT HUNTS POINT

Probably, better than having seafood packed in ice & shipped from an on-line source.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom