Question re: French Silk Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kammy

Assistant Cook
Hi!

I've run into a bit of a jam while I was in the middle of making a French Silk Pie. The recipe calls for "egg substitute", so without thinking I bought "egg beaters". When I got home (after I started baking) I came to the part where I am to add this egg substitute -- however -- it doesn't get cooked. Just add, whip, and then refridgerate. I'm a little concerned as I really don't want to have my guests get sick. Should I buy something else for this pie and start over again? or proceed with the egg beaters?

Thanks in advance
Kam

Kam, egg substitute is just that...a substitute for egg. I don't think your guests will become ill unless, of course, you didn't refrigerate the substitute properly.

By the way, welcome to DC. This is a place of many great members and just as many great answers to questions, cooking and otherwise.

Thank you! I guess I'm just a little leery about the no cooking aspect of it. But I'll go ahead and finish up ;)

Take care

Eggbeaters is pasteurized. You could drink it out of the carton with no problem (think pasteurized milk).

Eggbeaters actually are not an egg substitute, they are real egg. The only difference is that it is the whites only.

Like Andy said though, you have nothing to worry about.

Kammy said:
Hi!

I'm a little concerned as I really don't want to have my guests get sick.

That is exactly WHY they specify egg substitue instead of whole eggs. What they call egg substitute, which is actually 95% egg white plus something yellow to make it look like whole egg, is pasteurized. You could, of course, substitue pasteurized in-shell eggs for the egg substitute. One large egg euqals 1/4 cup egg substitute.

Last edited:
Thanks again all. They pie was a hit and I have a much better understanding of "egg substitute".

Back
Top Bottom