Photo essay: What families across the globe eat in a week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have to think on this some more - how to do it since HH and I eat lunch out every day. Can't use stuff already in the pantry, hmmmmmmmmm.

Anyone else interested in this?

This reminded me of several articles in the Washington Post recently - several members of Congress and a few local politicians have been trying to survive on the $21 a week in food stamps that the poor get around here.

They are failing miserably.

Packaged prepared foods are in almost every picture as are two-liter bottles of soft drinks.

Thanks for posting that! It's interesting and it makes me wish that i had my geography teachers email (they give them out to send in assingements and whatnot) to send it to her!

what struck me was how little milk I saw, and eggs. A lot of packaged cereals, but no milk.

It was very interesting to see the setting for these families. And it looked like, maybe, the families were responsible for arranging the foods, boy you could tell the Germans!

I would love to try this exercise. But it would be very difficult and hard work! But fun!

I noticed the same thing Andy M. did - all the sodas. One family with two small children had a dozen 2-liter bottles of cola. That's a LOT of soda.

The family from California made me ashamed to be an American. Their week's quantity of groceries was awful.

I was quite impressed with what the family from Cairo displayed.

Interesting.

Can't say I was overly impressed by my representatives from the UK. Look at all that sweet crap on the front table.

And favourite food: mayonnaise sandwich.

What he **** is that all about?! Where did they get these people?

Sorry - this has annoyed me! LOL

I once had the book these photos came from. "Hungry Planet" Very interesting.

The Chicago international terminal of the airport has an interesting photo layout on the walls showing what is contained in households around the world. So, it's like these photos, but the entire household possesions are included. Very eye opening.

Last edited:
The family from Bhutan have a lavish looking home and they spend $5 a week on groceries??? I don't believe it.

amber said:
The family from Bhutan have a lavish looking home and they spend $5 a week on groceries??? I don't believe it.
Probably the stuff they eat are homegrown. So food purchases most likely are very few.

Beth, from the picture, I could see mostly veggies and rice which are harvested from their garden.

I'm sorry boufa, I meant to say I was surprised how little food in general, in all 15 photographs, seemed to be home grown. There was much more packaged food than I would have expected to see.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom