Help Please...gravy separator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deeppitbbq

Cook
I decided to buy one..my question is..if you have one and like it..what brand is it or and where did you buy it at?

Gravy separators are like measuring spoons. The brand doesn't really matter that much. Just look for one that is big enough for your needs. I would also recommend that it be plastic, not glass. That way if you drop it then it will not break.

You can find them at any store that carries kitchen tools.

Wow, I have one exactly like Katie described but I was going to recommend that you not get a plastic one. I've always been a little afraid of pouring hot greasy liquid into a plastic container. I'll defer to Katie and GB's judgment however.

I hear what you are saying about plastic and hot greasy liquid Skilletlicker. These gravy separators are made for that very purpose though so they do work quite well.

I actually have a very nice glass one myself, but I am terrified that I am going to break it. The spout is long and thin and I know I one of these days I will bang it on the counter the wrong way or catch it on the edge of the table or something and then hot gravy will be everywhere mixed with glass. It is a very nice looking piece though so I don't want to get rid of it.

Love my gravy separators. I have two. A small one for gravy and a big one for stocks. Both clear plastic. My only frustration is that the hole at the bottom leading to the spout is not as small as I would like. I'm so scared of inadvertently pouring out the surface fat when I'm near the end of my pouring.

I have two separators small and large both plastic. The holes are a little big sometimes for what I want to separate. Thats when I'll put a layer or two of moistend cheese cloth over the screen and pour slowly.

I'll use a wire sieve lined with cheese cloth nested in a stock pot to separate bulk solids and then the gravey separator to remove the fat from the liquid.

I've seen the glass separators but that long thin neck/spout looks so easy to break that I fear it would snap by accident.

Most stocks I'll let chill and lift of fat solids from the surface of the gel

Mine is plastic and works very well. No melting. If time allows, I have also just chilled the liquid and let the fat rise to the top, skim it off, and reheat to make gravy. I do this when I make stocks, also.

I recently replaced my old big gravy separator with an almost identical one -- identical in all aspects except for a smaller hole at the bottom. The spout is the same diameter as the old one but the hole leading to it has one critical feature I've been looking for -- an overhanging plastic shield designed to hold back surface fat.

I absolutely love this product! No need to chill the stock. De-fatting is a breeze!

I have one from Oxo that I love. I typically don't like things that are so limited in application, but a good gravy separator simply can't be beat.

My sister and I struggled without a separator this past Thanksgiving. Results weren't so bad, but she went searching for tips later and came up with this one:

Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure or bowl. Pour drippings into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a small bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Reserve 1 cup drippings.

Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it should work pretty well.

Plastic ones do break/crack ..I had one that did when I poured hot broth in it and it wasn't a thin cheap one.

I think the broth has to cool slightly before you can pour it into the container. It was as though you've poured hot oil from something that was deep-fried into a plastic or glass container.:ohmy:

All of the ones that I've seen ARE plastic. Oxo makes one that is pretty good! If you haven't already tried it. It has a strainer on top and it works well.:chef:

My new plastic gravy separator just cracked tonight. :( I should have let the broth cool down first. I've done this before so I thought it would be alright. But I completely forgot that this time, my broth came straight from the pressure cooker, which meant that it was way past boiling point! Stupid me (I'm still kicking myself.)

Yeah, so sorry to hear that. Again, it's like I said above.

But if anyone is to do that (separate the fat from extremely hot liquids), the best way to do that is to wait until most of the fat has surfaced to the top. Then use a large spoon to skim it off.

Even better, if the liquid has or had fatty meat in it such as a pot roast or a fowl and the liquid is hot needed right away, place it in the fridge after it cools. The fat will rise and colagulate to the top, solidify, and removing it will be much easier.

I do this with homemade beef and chicken stock, since I start it a day ahead. Works great!! It would be way too much liquid to keep on pouring into the separater.

Last edited:
Just saw the fine print on the underside of my cracked gravy separator:

Do not subject to temp higher than 220F or 104C.

Duh! I never noticed that before! At least now I know that it's supposed to take very hot liquids, just not too hot. My sister abroad is coming to visit me over the holidays and I've asked her to buy me another one from the store I got it from. Now I've learned my lesson.

But if anyone is to do that (separate the fat from extremely hot liquids), the best way to do that is to wait until most of the fat has surfaced to the top. Then use a large spoon to skim it off.

Even better, if the liquid has or had fatty meat in it such as a pot roast or a fowl and the liquid is hot needed right away, place it in the fridge after it cools. The fat will rise and colagulate to the top, solidify, and removing it will be much easier.

Corey, that's exactly what I used to do. But after I got used to the gravy separator, I can't imagine going back to that old method. It's just so much faster and easier with the GS.

Last edited:
that zip bag is a good idea..because a lot of the time too much grease still gets by the the regular separators.
I saw a separater once that did empty from the bottom, wish I would have got that one.

I have gone through 3 or 4 plastic gravy separators and have given up on them. I have been eying a Pyrex one in William Sonoma but can't bring myself to shelling out the bucks they want for it. I am going to try the plastic bag trick the next time need to separate oil from broth.

Back
Top Bottom