Mexican chicken recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MexicoKaren

Head Chef
I have been living in Mexico now for a little more than a year, and I have been so amazed by the chicken I've eaten (not so much in restaurants, but in peoples' homes). So tender! And the sauces! I think I have finally figured out how they do it, and some of you may enjoy making it. It is SO good, and very authentic. Not as hard to make as it seems, and this recipe is very versatile, because this is the same sauce used for enchiladas (which are never baked like a casserole, by the way - they always just dip the tortilla in sauce, fill it, roll it up and serve it.) Hope you enjoy it! Karen

Pollo con Salsa Roja y Chorizo (Chicken with Red Sauce and Sausage)

6 chicken drumsticks and 6 thighs, skinned
2 tbs oil
½ pound ground fresh chorizo (or buy fresh chorizo links and remove the casings)

Salsa roja (recipe follows – this is also a basic enchilada sauce)
6 dried chiles guajillo (long and dark red, smooth skin)
3 dried chiles ancho or pasilla (shorter and darker- wrinkled skin)
3 or 4 red-ripe roma tomatoes
¼ onion
2 cloves garlic
1 and ½ cups chicken broth (or tomato bullion if you can find it)
2 TBS oil (usually corn oil)
salt to taste

Since the chiles guajillo are hotter than the chiles ancho, you may want to modify the mix if you want milder sauce. Toast the chiles by putting them in a hot fry pan for just a few minutes, pressing down and then turning them over to release their fragrance. This takes 1-2 minutes. Then remove the stems, seeds and membranes and soak in hot water for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, peel the tomatoes*, garlic and onion and cut into pieces.

Drain the chiles and transfer to a blender. Add the peeled tomatoes, onion,, garlic and broth and puree.

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the pureed sauce. Stir a bit to let it bloom. Simmer for 10 minutes over low heat and add salt to taste.

OR, you could use a can of enchilada sauce, but it wouldn’t be nearly as good.

Using a heavy, deep frying pan with sides at least 3 “ high, brown the chicken well in the oil in two batches, remove from pan and set aside. Add chorizo and sauté for a few minutes. Drain excess oil and add 1 cup of the sauce. Mix well, then add chicken pieces and cover with the remaining sauce. Bring to a simmer, and then cook for about 60-75 minutes.

To serve, let the tender chicken literally fall off the bone into a hot, fresh soft tortilla. Roll it up and enjoy. Garnish with chopped avocado, onion, radish or cheese if you want. You could serve this with Mexicana rice and/or beans, or just some fresh fruit (mango, pineapple, papaya, etc.)

*This is easy if you dip them in boiling water for a few minutes, the skins just peel off.

Oh, you are so welcome! I am having such a good time finding new ways to cook delicious food and it's fun to share my recipes. If you can't find ground chorizo, I have a good recipe to make your own from ground pork and spices.

Wow! Its only 10:30 here and my mouth is watering. That recipe looks fantastic! Copied and pasted into my files. Thanks!

Karen - actually, since my husband doesn't eat any red meat products, I'll probably substitute either turkey chorizo or the Frieda brand "Soyrizo" for the regular pork variety. Both are readily available around here (luckily - lol!!).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom