Hello From Lymington, England!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smyla007

Assistant Cook
Hi All!

I'm looking for help! I got engaged a few months ago and am now starting the mammoth and exciting task of planning our wedding day! The big questions is: What? How? Where? and When? I'm hoping you can help me with the What and the How!

So, looking for an August wedding, something casual and relaxed, yet different enough to be remembered and gorgeous enough to be special...hard task! So, thats why i'm here for some DIY ideas and inspiration!

Smyla:)

Hi, Smyla. Welcome to DC. I'm sure you will get plenty of help from all the great members here. You have quite a task ahead of yourself, and have a lot to do in a short time.

When Buck and I were married, we planned and did nearly everything for our wedding. I designed and made all the flowers, made all the gowns for the bridesmaids, planned and arranged for the food and drink at the reception and made our cake. I was busy, busy, busy.

We had 5 bridesmaids, 5 groomsmen and about 125 guests.

You state in your profile that you have catering experience. That will be a big help.

Have you set a date and arranged for a person to perform the ceremony and have a site reserved? Those are the first most important things to consider.

Last edited:
Hey there, just wanted to welcome you to the boards. I am certain that you will get lots of feedback!!!

Just my .10... save all the money you can for your new home and or honey moon!!!!

Couldn't agree more, we've been to 8 weddings in the last year and none have cost less than £30,000! To me thats madness, i'd rather save my parents pocket and pay for it myself...go simple and keep it elegant! We'd rather put the money into our home than on a 100 friends and family's hangovers!! :LOL:

Smyla007 said:
Couldn't agree more, we've been to 8 weddings in the last year and none have cost less than £30,000! To me thats madness, i'd rather save my parents pocket and pay for it myself...go simple and keep it elegant! We'd rather put the money into our home than on a 100 friends and family's hangovers!! :LOL:

Our wedding was nearly 25 years ago and it was elegant and understated. It took a while to plan but the final tally did not exceed $2000 U.S. That included the historic house we had the ceremony and reception in, as well as a live 5-piece band.

Our servers at the reception were students from a local high school home arts/culinary class. We told them what they were to do and asked them to dress in black slacks/skirts with white tops/blouses. They performed flawlessly.

I can't help with your wedding plans but I just wanted to welcome you to DC. Just a thought, is it as hot in England in August as it is here in the US? Were you thinking of an outdoor wedding?

Smyla007 said:

We did the JP thing (less than $500 I'm sure)... here it is 13 years later and still got it going on! What ever you end up doing, I am certain it will be a wonderful wedding and I hope you get what your heart desires!! Congrats girly!

Smyla007 said:
Hi All!

I'm looking for help! I got engaged a few months ago and am now starting the mammoth and exciting task of planning our wedding day! The big questions is: What? How? Where? and When? I'm hoping you can help me with the What and the How!

So, looking for an August wedding, something casual and relaxed, yet different enough to be remembered and gorgeous enough to be special...hard task! So, thats why i'm here for some DIY ideas and inspiration!

Smyla:)

I'm getting married too, in September 2008.

We're planning to be under £15 000 and that's including the honeymoon.

Our wedding meal (we're only having an evening do following an afternoon wedding) will be provided by our local farmer's market, and basically will be a posh ploughmans with loads of locally produced cheeses, pies, salads and chutneys.

Our dessert will be cup cakes, made by me, with help from my bridesmaids, served with fruit, and truffles.

That's the current plan, I live in the North West. There is a great wedding forum called Confetti which is UK based, a lot of us have £10 000 - £15 000 budgets, or lower.

Back
Top Bottom