The "Primanti" Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
This is a wonderful sandwhich from Pittsburgh. Trademark is french fries served on the sandwhich as a topping, with tomato, provolone and vinegar based cole slaw. Made famous @ "Primanti Bros" resteraunt. A family tradition in steel town.

Heres my take.
(serves 2)

4 slices italian or sour dough bread, slice em thick, get a "tall" loaf if possible, these are serious sandwhiches.

4 slices, tomato.

1/4 head cabbage. Cut into very small strips (shred). Add 4 tablespoons vinegar, red cooking wine, salt, pepper. (optional, 2 tablespoons honey mustard)

1 big or 2 small Idaho potatos. Cut into fries. Deep fry. Drain, set aside.

2 hot italian sausages, cut in half, press so they would each cover most of the bread. Grill until cooked, when finished, melt provolone slices (1.5 circles each). (you can substitute any meat/fish/egg instead!)

Add sausage(or other)/cheese on botton of bread. Add french fries on top of cheese. (i add ketchup and or hot sauce on the fries), press cole slaw unto fries, top with tomatos, add other slice of sourdough. Cut sandwhiches in half, serve with fries/slaw that didnt fit.

Enjoy!

:chef:

Last edited:
hmmm.

i guess no one is into the "full meal sandwhich"

classic pic of a primanti sandwhich
yum.JPG

# 2 best seller (cheesesteak) Philly eat your heart out!

Last edited:
OMG I'm drooling on my keyboard!!!

I've got to try this; thanks so much for posing the recipe and the picture. I was reading the recipe and having a hard time visualizing it. The picture is a great help.

PH2007041300761.jpg
Make one of these sukkas and hit the coal mine all day!

Seriously if you conjure up a Primanti, food is not a concern for quite some time.

I should have mentioned, to make eating it even possible, it should be cut down the middle.

When ever I order a burger and fries, I always put my fries on my burger!

The Pittsburgh Institution

I'm a native and I LOVE Primanti's. This sandwich was even featured on AOL Food and the Food Network. Even the folks in NYC are raving...

aolfoodblog.com/2007/09/08/primanti-bros-sandwiches/:chef:

I went to college in Pittsburgh and many were the nights we enjoyed a Primanti sandwich after the bars closed. Back then there was only the original restaurant in the Strip district, but now they have several around the city. Whilst visiting there this summer, I had hoped to have time to stop in and get one of these sandwiches, but I ran out of time before that happened. My loss.

Looks like a creature from th Heart Attack Grill-

The Heart Attack Grill - a theme restaurant in Tempe, Ariz. whose specialties include the Quadruple Bypass Burger and Flatliner Fries, cooked in pure lard - is making health-care professionals' blood pressure rise.

The sandwich might work better if the bread were sliced submarine or grinder style alla Blimpie's or Subway's?

Back
Top Bottom