What do you consider the single most useful kitchen gadget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
What's the single most useful piece of kitchen equipment (besides a heat source)? I nominate a non-stick frying pan. I could use it every time I cook something.

I think we had a thread similar to this back during the wintertime but I don't recall the name of it.

At any rate, I think G'Garlic has the right idea. I don't know how many times a day I use my good sharp chef's knife. Over the years, I've already worn one out from sharpening. By the time I replaced it, it was thin, thin, thin.

Yep, count me in with my knife.

I love my "big" red plastic spoon. It's got BETTY CROCKER written in white letters on the handle. I got it at Goodwill for 50 cents. I must use it just about everyday, for stirring something.:)

DH bought me a 12" Calphalon dutch oven, that I think could do anything from frying eggs, to making soup to cooking pasta. It's non-stick, but has a newer, different type of finish than my older pieces.
Like JoAnn, I too have a favorite spoon. Years ago, someone left a big, institutional type, stainless steel spoon at one of my parties. It has a flat edge on the front instead of a pointed one, which makes it great for stirring and dipping. No one ever claimed it, and if they tried to now, they would out of luck!

I don't consider regualr pots/pans/knives as "gadgets".

That said, I guess the 2 "gadgets" I've purchased that I use the most are:

1) My good old Ron Popeil "Showtime" rotisserie, &

2) Several non-stick perforated pans (absolutely fabulous for toasted appetizers, pizzas, french fries - anything that benefits from both bottom & top toasting.

A gadget is something that is useful, but not something normal or something that would be found in the majority of home kitchens. Most knives, pans, etc. do not fall into the "gadget" category unless it is one that would be considered unique or unusual.

With that being said, is the point of this thread to find out what is someones favorite gadget like the thread title states, or is it ANY piece of equipment like the first post states?

It would be my one certain wooden spoon. In fact it has been used so much and since I am right handed the left side of the bowl part of the spoon is wearing off flat. I WILL NOT GIVE IT UP. Hubby says he will bury the spoon with me .

since I don`t consider knives/forks pots/pans as "Gadgets" I guess the kitchen sink and Tap would have to me my most used.

oh yeah and that little clicky thing that lights the Gas on my cooker :)

Gadgets are usually such things as can openers, mandolins, peelers, veggie cutters, cooking utensils and whatever else have you, things of that nature.

not to me, things like "can openers, mandolins, peelers, veggie cutters" as you stated could be, but pots/pans and utensils don`t fall under "Gadget" catagory.

btw, did you Know the Screwdriver was invented BEFORE the screw? :)

quite true!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom