How long does fish last

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommyDoThis

Assistant Cook
My family and I went to this Trout Pond today and caught 4 beautiful trout. The workers at the Trout Farm bagged the fish in ice and sent us home. My question is: How long could I keep them frozen in the freezer? I am not a "fish" person, so any ideas and tips regarding fish are kindly appreciated!:)

MommyDoThis

Wrapped tightly, I'd give it a month. If it's wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and put into a freezer bag, maybe 3 months. Vacuum packed, I'd say 6 months, tops.

Please forgive this silly question but I've never fished at a farm where the workers bagged the fish. Are they cleaned, that is gutted? If not, you want to do that right now (written in the wee hours of the morning following the catch). Some may argue it is already too late. I'm assuming the workers cleaned them for you.

I think Caine is overly conservative on this one. If you've only got four beautiful fish caught less than 24 hours ago, why freeze them at all? If it is just two or three of you, why not cook all four today. There might be one left over, which shouldn't be leftover very long.

Or you could cook two today, and freeze two today, using whatever lessons were fresh in your memory to improve the second attempt, while the first was still fresh in your memory.

Anyway, welcome to the website and thanks for asking the question.;) More folks smarter than me will probably reply soon.

Last edited:
As skilletlicker has advised, it is best to clean the trout upon arriving home, that is, if the workers have not cleaned them for you. If you have not done so and they are already in the freezer, then let them remain so until it's time for you to cook them. So long as they are properly wrapped and kept, they can last up to 6 months in the freezer. Freshly caught fish are best eaten on the day itself to enjoy its full freshness. Preparation-wise, you can lightly season them with salt and pepper and pan-fry them in olive oil.

Last edited:
Thanks!

The Tout Farm is a place were we Pay to catch fish..lol Funny I know, but it is a great family experience! The owners of the farm gutted and cleaned the fish for us. I was going to cook them but it was very late when we arrived home!

Great ideas folks..

MommyDoThis :angel:

Back
Top Bottom