ISO Potato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deeppitbbq

Cook
I would appreciate any replies on how you make your potato salad when you have time...thank you:)

dont know the exact measurements ..
but we use red potatos .. sour cream .. mayo ..
little dill .. some dijon mustard .. pickles ..
salt and pepper .. and a pound of fried bacon ...

DPBBQ

My secret ingredient is the potatos:ermm: I bake them & leave the skin on.
Bacon is often times used. After that it becomes your personal preference.
Mayo, mustard, pickle (sweet or sour) onion, eggs, celery (seeds) yogurt, horseradish to name a few. Salt and pepper is obvious!

Enjoy and be Creative!!

i like to slice them and grill them or roast them cut in half while i BBq
then while still hot, give them a quick chop
add italian dressing, bacon, tons of red and green onions, red peppers, pickle relish, copious amounts of black pepper, sea salt and a abit of chopped scotch bonnets
oh while i have used red potatoes and peruvian blues my fave are yukon golds/yellow fins
has a buttery texture

I just made some....the potatoes were baby ones, think yukons....cooled them, peeled them. Cut them in half.....added, green onion; celery;carrot;sweet gherkins;hard boiled egg and Miracle Whip....yum....it's the way my grandma used to make it.

Wow - it depends on what type of potato salad I'm making. My friends call me the "Potato Salad Queen" - LOL!!! - because I've developed so many different versions. Here's one of my (& everyone else's) all-time favorite (even though it's artery-clogging heaven - lol!!):

"Blue Cheese Potato Salad"

3 pounds "White Rose" potatoes (or any other thin-skinned
potato of your choice)
1 cup minced red or Vidalia onion - or shallots
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered lengthwise
1 16-ounce container of sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 cup crumbled blue cheese + extra for sprinkling over the top for garnish
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
Parsley for garnish

Cook the unpeeled potatoes in boiling water until tender when pierced with a thin knife or skewer and drain. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, but still warm, cut them into large chunks and place in a large bowl with the onion and the hard-boiled eggs. In another bowl mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, blue cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika. Pour over the potatoes and mix gently. Garnish with the extra crumbled blue cheese & parsley and refrigerate until ready to serve.

our family favorite - potatoes (boiled or roasted - with skins ON), hard-cooked eggs, sweet pickles, bacon, little mustard mixed with miracle whip for dressing - salt and pepper. Sometimes celery.

Ranch Potato Salad

3 Lb Red Potatoes, boiled and peeled
1 Lb Bacon, cooked and chopped
1 C Red Onion, diced
1 tsp Celery Seed
1 Ea Seedless Cucumber, peeled & cut up
1 Pkt Ranch Dressing Mix
1/2 C Mayonnaise
1/2 C Sour Cream
1 Tb Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tb Dijon Mustard
6 Ea Hard Cooked Eggs, sliced
1/2 C Kalamata Olives, chopped
1/2 Tb Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper

Cut the potato into cubes and transfer to a large mixing bowl.

Add the bacon, onion, celery seed and cucumber to the potato.

Whisk together the dressing mix, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar and mustard.

Add one cup of the dressing to the potato mixture and combine gently.

Add the eggs, salt and pepper and fold together with the potato mixture.

Note: The dressing mix packet makes two cups. The leftover can be used for tossed salad or a double batch of this salad.

Potluck Potato Salad

4-5 Medium Potatoes (4 cups)

1/4 C French dressing
1 C Diced Celery
1/4 C Finely Diced Onion
4 Hard-boiled Eggs-Sliced
1 tsp Salt
1/2 C Mayonnaise
1 tsp Celery Seed (ground)

Boil the potatoes whole in their skins. Peel and cut into approximately 1/2” to 3/4” cubes. Toss the French dressing with the warm potato cubes and refrigerate for at least two hours.

Gently mix in the remaining ingredients. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving, overnight is better.

I don't have one specific recipe, but I find that if you mix the potatos in with your dressing while the potatos are still hot, they absorb more flavour. If you do that though, cut back on the amount of salt in the recipe.

When I made potato salad last night I realized I didn't have any pickle relish or yellow mustard so I just used white vinegar - after it sat for about an hour the vinegar settled down and it was pretty good. I used:

red potatoes, big chunks, skin still on

mayo
grated hardboiled eggs
white onion
green pepper
white vinegar
dried dill
salt
white pepper
black pepper

kitchenelf said:
When I made potato salad last night I realized I didn't have any pickle relish or yellow mustard so I just used white vinegar - after it sat for about an hour the vinegar settled down and it was pretty good. I used:

red potatoes, big chunks, skin still on

mayo
grated hardboiled eggs
white onion
green pepper
white vinegar
dried dill
salt
white pepper
black pepper
Elf,
I use almost everything you do except the green peppers. DH's aunt use to make potatoe salad he use to adore..Her secret was to, while the potatoes were still warm to dress with evoo and vinegar, let sit about 30-40 min then continue on..She made the best salad, it was always gone in a flash..

kadesma:)

Yes, I always dress my potato salad while it is warm - much more flavorful and I like the way it takes the edge off the onion and green pepper.

Oh, I might try a little evoo next time too - I don't like to use a huge amount of mayo so maybe the evoo will help spread things out a bit.

deeppitbbq - you couldn't have picked a finer dish to discuss!!! :chef:

Potato salad is a truly marvelous dish as you cannot screw it up.

My eldest tasted the Ranch Potato salad posted above and loved it. she asked for the recipe and wanted to make it right away. Then the calls started. Can I sub celery for the cuke? Can I leave out the celery seed, Can I add more this or less that?

I told her there are few rules for potato salad and just about anything goes, do what you like, make it your own. She did and loves it.

You could collect potato salad recipes for years and find no two alike. Everyone has their own twists. So experiment. Play with combinations, add weird stuff. Have fun with it. That's what I did to come up with the ranch potato salad. I've changed it twice since then and will probably change it again.

I LOVE lime and thyme in potato salad too. I made a cilantro/lime/purple potato salad for Father's Day :sick: That just wasn't a good color and I put a tad too much cilantro in it. I tried to do a German potato salad without the bacon but with the cilantro and lime - so, unfortunately, I DID mess up potato salad :(

kitchenelf said:
Yes, I always dress my potato salad while it is warm - much more flavorful and I like the way it takes the edge off the onion and green pepper.

Oh, I might try a little evoo next time too - I don't like to use a huge amount of mayo so maybe the evoo will help spread things out a bit.

deeppitbbq - you couldn't have picked a finer dish to discuss!!! :chef:
Elf,
I don't have to use as much mayo when I use some evoo. Plus I like the taste so much I sometimes just dress potatoes, egg,onion,parsley,and some crumbled bacon and chopped dill pickles with evoo and vinegar, forget the mayo:) salt and pepper are a must tho!
kadesma

my Mom's is DELICIOUS!!!!! several compliments.
she boils her potatoes unpeeled, peels & cubes them, then blends mayonnaise, mustard, evaporated milk, salt/pepper, also blends extra if we so choose extra....., boiled egg slices & paprika garnish, then we dine!!!!!

Uncle Bob said:
My secret ingredient is the potatos:ermm:...

I knew there was something I forgot. :LOL:

When it comes to PS, I never know what I'm going to end up with. Except, I don't care for eggs or pickle relish; and am not a big fan of mustard or celery. Comfort PS, for me is, chunks of boiled potatoes (preferrably red), mixed w mayo, s&p and peas served warm sprinkled with paprika.

I add just about anything to red - buttermilk, mayo, dill, sour cream/mayo combo, sun-dried tomato or basil pesto, or roasted sweet red peppers, green beans or asparagus, chopped onions or green onions/scallions or shallots, sliced black olives, shredded carrots, chopped marinated artichoke hearts. Sometimes it's more like a salad w/o the lettuce.:LOL:

This PS is a little different (made with Perogies). I like the potato and cheddar or the potato and onion.

Welcome to Stauffers of Kissel Hill's Website

Last edited:
:) My potato salad consists of equal parts of onion,celery and dill relish I mix it together with mayo and some apple cider vinegar,salt & pepper and a bit of pickled japapeno juice is good also with vinegar)salt and pepper and let that mix set in fridge a day if I have time .Then I toss cold diced potatoes in a bit of Olive Oil and salt and then add my mix.Have always got great compliments.
If I add boiled eggs I just put slices around the edge of salad and mayby some sliced olives and of course some paprika and parsley for color.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom