Flea Market Cookbooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Once or twice a year SO and I go to a big flea market that has been in the same location for decades. We wander around and she picks at stuff and doesn't always come away with something.

I've discovered you can get really good cookbooks for a few bucks. In the past, I bought Paul Prudhomme's first cookbook, Julia's Mastering the Art of French Cooking and the companion cookbook from her French Chef PBS Series along with a few others.

Today I came away with the James Beard cookbook, another by the Romanolis, a couple who have had restaurants and cooking shows locally and a Williams-Sonoma cookbook for Soups, Salads and Starters. All three came to $8.00

Does anyone have experience with the W-S cookbooks? What's your opinion of them?

WOW - you got some good ones today!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought a W-S cookbook - it's a combination of their grilling, roasting, and something else cookbooks all rolled into one. I find they have some pretty interesting recipes and some very basic ones we need to be reminded of. Like all cookbooks though - they make good bedtime reading! :rolleyes:

I have a W-S muffin cookbook. I can not remember if I have tried any of the recipes although I think I might have tried one. The recipes all look great though.

All my cookbooks make good bedtime reading. Some I've never even made a recipe from, but enjoy reading stuff I may never make.

You did well for 8 dollars, Andy. I love coming across "finds" like that and do, occasionally, at the area thrift stores I visit regularly.

I'd love to come across the W-S book on Tuscany. I saw it at Sam's Club a couple of years ago and was quite impressed.

The one I've had the longest is an American Woman cookbook that I found soon after I was married. My mom had one when I was a child and I always enjoyed looking at hers and cooking from it later. I was very lucky to find one exactly like the one she had. I have some that are older, but that is my earliest purchase...the others I bought used.

chilichip said:
thinking of cookbooks ,what is the oldest one you got?

That's easy for me. I inherited the 1938 second printing of the 1931 edition of The Household Searchlight. There was even a clipping in that cookbook, of a recipe from a newspaper. On the back side of the clipping, was an artist's drawing of the new-fangled US Army Air Corps. B-25 shooting down a Japanese Zero. Talk about old.

Back
Top Bottom