Caramel Dessert Sauce WITHOUT Cream!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzzlet

Senior Cook
Hi all:
My husband is lactose intolerant. Does anybody know of a good caramel dessert sauce recipe that does NOT contain any cream? I want to make Caramel Pecan Brownie Sundaes for the fourth!! Thanks so much.

I have no idea....are their lactose free creams out there...soy cream??

Coffee rich non-dairy creamer is a good substitude for milk and also for heavy cream. Read the label they have instruction there.

I can't imagine making it without cream or butter.

I cook for someone who is dairy allergic so use margerine and Smart Balance, soy milk and once in a while non-dairy creamer, but I don't think I would use them to make carmel sauce. IMO some things from the dairy world don't cross over well using sebs -- like carmel and fondue.

But if you want to try, I'd suggest using nondairy creamer.

You can make a perfectly good caramel without cream. Use your candy thermometer because temperature is critcal. Simply make a mixture of simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water), and boil until you reach a state jsut between syrup and soft-crack stage. Add a bit of salt and pour into a greased cake pan to cool. Depending on how hot you get it, the caramel will have the soft consistancy found in, say, a caramello bar, or if taken a bit higher, like in a sugar-baby, or Kraft caramel.

You might have to expeiment just a little. You can also add other flavorings. In effect, you are making something between a taffy and a caramel. But it will taste great.

You can also substitute rice-milk, soy-milk, or as posted above, non-dairy creamers for the milk or cream found in regular caramels.

A quick Google search for "non-dairy caramels" gave me a host of recipes.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom