Perfect Breakfast for Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadeofpalms

Assistant Cook
Hey there.. I'm new, but I was hoping I could get some advice from some veteran cooks and menu planners..

My mother's turning 50 on saturday, but I'm unable to make it to her party that afternoon. So I was planning on making her a light, but preferably savory breakfast that morning to make up for my absence.

I already have one thing I really want to make.. Apricot Muffins. But after that I'm lost.

Does anyone have any ideas that would go along with this? I'm rather new at cooking, but I think I have a knack for it.. so if nothing else, I can try anything you've got.

But please.. it'd mean a lot to me. Thank you!

Hi, Shade... Welcome to DC.

What does Mom like for breakfast? Meats, eggs, waffles or pancakes, omlets, fruits, cereals, coffee, tea, what kind of juices?

She's not picky when it comes to breakfast.. when she actually finds the time to eat it. From quiche to pancakes, she's all over it.

Strictly from observation, though, I'd say she's a ham, pancakes, fruits and coffee kinda lady. Orange juice is always in the fridge.. but I swear she'll drink anything with the word 'juice' behind it.

I forget what it was that I found in there one day.. *shudders* But it had no right to be anywhere outside of the tropics.

Sounds to me like if she is a ham, pancakes, fruits and coffee kinda lady, sounds like a good start on a menu.

Welcome to DC.

Here is a dish that's a little more festive.

Spring Brunch Dutch Boy

There are several breakfast/brunch ideas here:

Breakfast & Brunch

Or - how about quiche or frittata, with fresh fruit or sliced tomatoes on the side? If it's not too early, Mimosas - OJ & Champagne.

Welcome to DC

I can assure you she will enjoy anything you make for her! The muffins and coffee sounds good to me. It is the time spent with you that she will cherish the most! Are you positive you can't make the party?? Wow! the Big 5-0 birthday! Thats a big day in her life!

Enjoy and Have fun!

If she is anything like me, I like two breakfast's. One being either tea or coffee with a muffin or bagel, then an hour or two later, a heavier breakfast. That for me would be ham or bacon, and an omelet, or pancakes, crepes, french toast. I love all kinds of things in omelets, though mostly vegetables and cheese.

Too bad you can't make it to your mom's birthday, it is a big one as unclebob mentioned.

This is spectacular, with the added bonus of being assembled the night before.

Lee

BRUNCH EGGS

16 SLICES OF SANDWICH BREAD, TRIMMED

1 LB OF SLICED HAM BROKEN IN PIECES

16 SLICES OF CHEESE – 8 SWISS AND 8 AMERICAN

½ tsp. ONION SALT

½ tsp. DRY MUSTARD

7 EGGS

2 CUPS OF MILK

2 CUPS OF CORN FLAKES

½ TO ¾ STICK OF MELTED BUTTER OR MARGARINE

Butter 13x9x2 baking pan. Layer ½ the bread slices, half the ham, 4 slices of the American and 4 slices of the Swiss cheese; repeat layering.

Mix eggs, onion salt, dry mustard and milk. Pour over the top. Let stand overnight, (preferable), or for a few hours.

Mix corn flakes in melted butter/margarine and spread on the top of the dish. Try not to skip this step, as it MAKES the dish!

Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.

(Note: You can halve this recipe and bake it in a square brownie pan)

A simple omelet with fresh sliced tomatoes, some basil leaves, and a bit of havarti make a nice breakfast. Salt and pepper, of course :chef:

Or, some perfectly scrambled eggs (mix some cream in before you scramble them, along with salt and pepper - and scramble them in some real butter - and dont' be stingy with it either :rolleyes: Cook them on low and take a rubber scraper that can handle the heat and keep the "curds" of egg nice and big and don't let anything brown), sliced tomatoes topped with some gray salt, some applewood smoked bacon, and your muffins sounds like a winner to me.

Wow! Thank you all so much!

Honestly wasn't expecting this much response. ^^; Never seem to have a lot of luck on forums, but I thought I'd give this one a shot.

You've given me a lot to pick from.. it all sounds great.

And, yeah, unfortunately, I really can't make it.. My own fault, too. >_<

Hopefully I'll be a little redeemed by breakfast + presents.. Thanks so much!!

When I'm preparing a big, special breakfast, I generally like to include a seafood item, as it's not a typical breakfast item and it tends to make things more memorable.

Thoughts:
-Bermuda curried fish cakes (my favorite)
-Grilled Trout (Georgia thing, I'm told. I love it)
-Fried softshell crab

Another favorite of mine is to serve a big bowl of grits (I like Anson Mills), cheese added if you wish, with crumbled country bacon and cut up spiced/steamed shrimp on top, topped with some chives.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom