The Metric System in the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should the USA Convert to the Metric System?

• NO! Absolutely not. Never!

Votes: 31 39.2%
  • YES! It's idiotic not to!

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I don't care. What's the difference

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • I suppose so, some day

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • It's HARD. I'd have to think to follow a recipe

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
The controversy continues. So do we or don't we convert? Vote and state your reasons.

Last edited:
The changeover would have to be gradual so people and businesses could switch over. Once that's done, the metric system would make life a lot easier.

Am very conversant with both systems.

I cannot comment on the economic impact to industry.

But I don't think most people wouldl have too much of a problem.

For every day purposes we will need a few more measuring toys, such as scales in grams and kilos, rulers and tape measures in cm and measuring cups in ml, that sort of thing. It is just as easy to measure the length of your foot in cm as it is in inches, you just need the right tool with marks in cm.

And as Andy says the change would occur gradually with both units being used. We would not have to go into a deli the day after the new system was adopted and ask for 250 grams of salami, nah, we could still just order half a pound.

For those times when one needs to convert measurements I am sure there will be tons of pocket calculators on the market that one could probably pick up at Walmart for a few bucks.

I don't think it will be a problem for most people, it is just the fear of those conversions we had to make in school that I believe daunts many folk.

Anyway just my take on things.

OK, I voted yes, just because that would make life simpler here. LOL. OK, really though, I had to laugh about measuring your foot in cm instead of inches. Canada has been metric for 30 years or more and I've NEVER measured my foot in anything but inches. There are some pieces of imperial measurement that just "stick". And there are those folks who are resistant to ANY change at all.

IMO, the easiest way to change is to just DO it. Put it in the schools and teach it to the kids and let them bring it home to their parents to help teach it to them. Worked here.

i voted for no .. i grew up in scotland .. learned metric ..
now in US and a carpenter .. i am trying to think
how much confusion and money a change like that would
cost .. my guess is it would be a disaster ..

Alix said:
I've NEVER measured my foot in anything but inches.

i'm hoping you always came up with 12... :rolleyes:

i say go for the metric system.

it's 28.35 times easier.

we have already begun with liters of soda, etc. That 12oz "pound of coffee"??? well three of them makes a kilo.

well yeah,

i was taught metric in jr. high cause it was just around the corner:huh: . It was so easy to learn. We should just get on with it:)

Andy M. said:
The controversy continues. So do we or don't we convert?
. . .
The changeover would have to be gradual so people and businesses could switch over. Once that's done, the metric system would make life a lot easier.
What controversy? I was taught the metric system in elementary school and told I had to learn it because those were going to be the units of measure in the future. That was nearly 50 years ago and I guess they were right but the changeover has been extremely gradual indeed. Soda is sold by the liter. Virtually everything in the grocery store is labeled both ways. The only way I can imagine it turning into a controversy would be if somebody was silly enough to try to mandate it.

When I was in college, and just starting, we were converting recipes up and down. We were told that we wouldn't have to deal with the metric recipes. Guess what? The instructor gave them to us anyway. I found that scaling recipes up/down in metric was MUCH easier than American/Imperial.

My pyrex 2-c and 4-c measuring cups have metric on them as well. My kitchen scale can do oz or grams. My jewelry scale does grams, accurate to 0.1 g.

I'd need a new knob on my oven, with the Celcius degrees instead of Farenheit. I'd also need new measuring spoons, and measuring cups (the 1, 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 c type).

Distance is going to be fun. All those highway signs. Not to mention that some things are just going to clash. This country was surveyed using miles, and property is measured in feet. Heck, the street grid here in Tulsa is laid out on the section lines, so major surface streets are every mile.

I used to have some javascript calculators that I wrote on a webpage that would convert temp, grams-to-oz, and mL-to-teaspoons. I kept that webpage stored on my hard drive, so I wouldn't need internet access to convert recipes. However, I lost that when I lost my previous laptop. There are however, many different metric-imperial conversion websites out there.

Any 'controversy' would soon pass once the public realized it wasn't a matter for discussion. I get so tired of good ideas dying in this country because a vocal majority think it's going to be too hard.

I, like many others, was taught the metric system in school with the belief that conversion was coming soon. I even remember road signs along the interstate highway system with distances labled in both miles an kilometers. Those are now gone. Sure, a lot of things ARE labled both ways, but I'd still like to see it adopted as an American standard.

Other countries converted to the metric system in the not so distant past (Australia) and it's working out fine. I, for one, would rather talk in millimeters rather than 8ths or 16ths of an inch.

The Z said:
Other countries converted to the metric system in the not so distant past (Australia) and it's working out fine. I, for one, would rather talk in millimeters rather than 8ths or 16ths of an inch.
It's a free country. Who's stopping you from talking metric?

It would be an interesting exercise, for those of us who desire, to convert to metric on our own. That way, when and if it becomes the "system," we'll have already adapted.

There's nothing to say we can't do that.

Katie E said:
It would be an interesting exercise, for those of us who desire, to convert to metric on our own. That way, when and if it becomes the "system," we'll have already adapted.

There's nothing to say we can't do that.
Actually I think those of us who post in DC ought, as a matter of courtesy, consider the significant number of our members who aren't as familiar with our units of measurement. I will try more often to show both units. We would all thereby become more comfortable with both systems. Should I fail or forget in some instance I beg the same degree of reciprocal tolerance.

Katie, I think it is only a critical number of us "converting on our own" that will truly change the "system." After all, isn't that the lesson, or at least the hope, from our younger days?

Last edited:
a very clever & snarky physics prof i had waaaay back in high school said that the only way our hidebound country was going to finally switch was if someone just went and changed all the highway signs overnight. not like the distance would be any different at all, still an hour from here to mom's for example, just in kms now instead of miles. people would figure out their own mental concepts & conversions in no time if it just *was*. the slow change-over plan doesn't do any favors, but simply gives people the excuse to choose to not pay attention to anything new. just do it already!

i'm a scientist, so *everything* in my head already is metric (ok, except for miles per hour whilst driving). i have NO luck at all converting oz/lb/pints/bla bla bla. all that wacky stuff makes no sense whatsoever, and i'm more than ready for the long promised change to hurry up and get here already.

I say no. It's hard enough for me to understand it as it is. And then I'll have to go back and learn this stuff all over again ??? Heck no.

Back
Top Bottom