ISO informaton on flaxseed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Run_Out

Senior Cook
I just went browsing through my latest edition of AARP magazine and seen a bullet on Flaxseed that said that Flaxseed was very effective at reducing growth in prostate cancer but not flaxseed oil. It was done by some medical research center in the Northeast.

I am not smart enough to understand this so I wish someone on the board could educate me.

later

I buy organic flax seed in one pound packages, grind it in my hand crank grain grinder, then put it in the freezer. Bout the only thing I do with it is to add it to my granola recipe and add 1/3 cup to my 2 cup flour recipe for pancakes every weekend.

I've heard you can mix it with an organic peanut butter too - you just have to have a REALLY good friend with you to tell you you have a flax seed stuck in your tooth! A friend also said it was great in lowering cholesterol and she just grinds hers and eats a spoonful.

Run_Out - let us know what you find out or if you have any other questions.

Flax seed does contain the omega-3 oils that supposed to help your health. We have included them into our bread mixes which made a very tasty loaf.

I use 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed in my steel cut oats and egg scrambles daily. I also just found a low-carb pizza dough made with ground flax that I'll try soon!

Flaxseed is packed with Omega-3's and a fantastic source of fiber. Definitely a "super" food. =)

They do, however, have a distinct taste. I throw gound up seeds into my smoothies, onto breakfast cereals (oatmeal!) and even into muffins and such when I think about it.

Oh ~ and you can even use them as a substitute for eggs (mix ground seeds with enough water to make a egg-white like consistancy) when baking if you have someone who is either allergic to eggs or a vegan.

:heart:
Z

Back
Top Bottom