How to make burritos for the freezer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnysmile

Cook
I am becoming more interested in monthly cooking using my freezer for make-ahead meals. My kids love the frozen burritos from the store, and I figured I could probably make them cheaper. Does anyone know the correct technique for making them for the freezer? I would just make the burrito and put them out on a tray, freeze, and then bag after frozen solid. Is this sufficient or is there something else required? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance....newbie here!

Hmm...I would think that you could wrap them each in foil, then in a freezer bag and pop them all in the freezer. I wouldn't think you need to pre-freeze them..(??)

I too think Pre-freezing would be un-necessary unless you are using a vacumn-sealer.. That is one thing you could consider for freshness. That is, using a sealer to lock in the freshness. Then, your children could Microwave them right out of the freezer..

sunnysmile said:
I would just make the burrito and put them out on a tray, freeze, and then bag after frozen solid.

Your burritos may end up tasting like the freezer. I would wrap them first then freeze them.

:) Im actually doing burittos today I make them and freeze them all the time as said before I make them and wrap in then put them in 1 gallon ziploc bags and freeze them I usually make about 80 at a time.HB loves them when you want one just take out of freezer take of foil wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave.If I plan on making smothered burittos I take them out in morning and let them thaw in refrigerator.
In a few days I will be making breakfast burittos as well.

I've never made burritoes but think they would stick together if you didn't either wrap them, like has been suggested, or freeze them till firm before you packaged them together. If you don't want to wrap them individually and don't have a vaccuum sealer, you might want to try that press and seal by glad - looks like cool stuff.

While we're on the subject, jpmcgrew or sunnysmile, either of you care to share your recipes? I'm always looking for things that can be made ahead in mass and frozen ... Thank you!

:) When I make them I wrap them individually you hafto wrap them in foil before freezing or the tortillas will dry out too much.
I dont mind sharing recipes but as far a red or green chili or burittos etc I dont have written recipes, I just make them Ive done it so long I dont need a recipe.Iwill try to come up with some written recipes wish I could just show people and have them taste it,it would be so much easier as I season and taste as I go.

jpmcgrew said:
:) When I make them I wrap them individually you hafto wrap them in foil before freezing or the tortillas will dry out too much.

That's what I was wondering ... Do you wrap them in plastic wrap too, or just the foil?

jpmcgrew said:
I dont mind sharing recipes but as far a red or green chili or burittos etc I dont have written recipes, I just make them Ive done it so long I dont need a recipe.Iwill try to come up with some written recipes ...

I understand that - it's like people asking for my meatloaf recipe. What about just your ingredient list? Please, don't go to too much trouble!

Thank you!

jpmcgrew said:
:) Im actually doing burittos today I make them and freeze them all the time as said before I make them and wrap in then put them in 1 gallon ziploc bags and freeze them I usually make about 80 at a time.HB loves them when you want one just take out of freezer take of foil wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave.If I plan on making smothered burittos I take them out in morning and let them thaw in refrigerator.
In a few days I will be making breakfast burittos as well.

You said EIGHTY at a time??????:w00t:

Wow. Well, if you don’t mind could you post your recipe here? I’d like to try it myself! What do you use for the “wrapping”. Do you make your own tortillas or use store bought?

Edited to add: Heh, I should have read the whole thread and saw what you said about the recipe! :LOL:

Last edited:
:) Just foil is fine because they also go into ziploc freezer bags.

Yes I will make 80 at a time I cook the filling the first day grate cheese the next day and wrap em up.No I dont make the flour tortillas.I buy the Mission brand burrito size I like them because they are soft and dont break when you make the burritos and wrap them fairly tight in the foil.I also tear my foil sheets the night before.I dont have an amount of meat I use cause like I said before I just do it but it always works out some how.
We live on a ranch and town is 45 miles away so theres no going for takeout so this is good way to have stuff on hand HB will take one frozen to work which is anywhere on the 600.000 + acres. He puts it on the manifold of his truck engine and they get piping hot.
Sometimes I have my neighbor come and help roll them she can do twice as many as me in return she takes a few home.

Thanks for your replies everyone. jpmcgrew, do you heat your tortillas before wrapping, or are they soft enough already?

Any monthly cooking I have done so far is just things like when I make lasagna, I will make 3 or 4 of them to have on hand in the freezer. Several years ago, I did this whole big thing right before I had my last child so my husband wouldn't have to worry too much about dinners. I think I made up something like 60 entrees and used a cookbook on monthly cooking for the recipes. I found that I like my own recipes better, as the seasonings were not up to what we like and there was no precooking of onions and things like that, so it didn't turn out like what we were used to in casseroles. I am more interested now in doing things like the burritos. I have also thought about doing biscuits or rolls, mashed potatoes frozen in scoops, muffins, cookies, breakfast sandwiches...stuff that we use a lot of. If anyone has any other ideas for kinds of foods that work well in the freezer, I'd love to hear about them.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Just foil is fine because they also go into ziploc freezer bags. . . . He puts it on the manifold of his truck engine and they get piping hot.
jpmcgrew, thanks for all the advice.

1. If it were not for the reheating method, described would you still wrap in foil? If so why?
  2. I join in the polite request for a rough list of ingredients if not recipes.
  3. I assume the breakfast burritos contain scrambled eggs. I hope you'll share how you freeze and reheat those without damaging the eggs.

sunnysmile said:
Thanks for your replies everyone. jpmcgrew, do you heat your tortillas before wrapping, or are they soft enough already?
No dont heat tortillas just fill them and freeze.Thats it.

skilletlicker said:
jpmcgrew, thanks for all the advice.
  1. If it were not for the reheating method, described would you still wrap in foil? If so why?
  2. I join in the polite request for a rough list of ingredients if not recipes.
  3. I assume the breakfast burritos contain scrambled eggs. I hope you'll share how you freeze and reheat those without damaging the eggs.
I wrap in foil because I freeze them.
Breakfast burritos first I saute some onions then the sausage you can use bacon or ham if thats what you like.Then I boil some potatoes and fry in a bit of oil to get them crisp adding some S&P garlic and some herbs I then very soft scramble eggs and cook up some New Mexico green chili.I mix chili with meat after that I take a flour tortilla add a little bit of meat chili mix,potatoes,eggs and grated sharp cheddar.Thats it but it is hard to explain the chili deal as you hafto live here to understand Northern New Mexico foods.
Corazon! I need you to help explain.
They heat up well as I dont over cook eggs
Its a staple around here. Some people will add some pinto beans as well.

Again I hope Corazon will chime in as the chili here is soo good but so hard to get in the rest of the country .
Think Hatch, New Mexico they grow some of the best chili in the world it can be mild or hot,red or green.

I would use waxed paper, no aluminium foil, just because I like to be different!

Not really. I'd skip the foil because I just KNOW if I used foil, someone would stick one in the microwave without removing it, and then
img_459735_0_ed83ff6f881f44b3c312df51688e3f50.gif

In fact, I'd probably use waxed paper to wrap each individual burrito, then bag them all together in a freezer bag.

I freeze enchiladas all the time. I freeze them individually until they harden and then wrap individually and put in freezer bags. I also make home made enchilada sauce that I freeze separately in about 1/2 cup portions. I freeze home made meatballs the same way, small bags of marinara, soups and stews, cooked shredded meat for tex mex meals or sandwiches. I alway try to have shredded cooked chicken in 1 cup portions in the freezer. I like to have things like this in the freezer for busy days when I don't feel like cooking. So much better then take out and fast food meals.

85 smallish burritos (soft taco sized tortillas) later....the process went pretty quick with my daughter helping me. We have success!....Now, I just need to see how the quality is after they've been frozen.

:) As long as they are wrapped well it should be no problem like I said before if you cover them with a damp paper towel when microwaving it keeps the tortilla soft.You will love the convience of having these a quick snack/meal or when a friend comes over etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom