Hello from Texas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cajungem

Assistant Cook
Greetings! I've never joined a cooking group before but expect I'll enjoy it. We live in a very rural, wooded area of Texas right on the Louisiana border in a county with only 9,000 people and our largest city has a pop. of 1100. Our restaurant choices include a Dairy Queen... that's it. There is a pizza machine at the gas/grocery store. Oddly enough, we have an excellent meat market and a health food store. If you are invited out, its most likely going to be a BBQ or fish fry. There's no doubt thats good eating but it is somewhat redundant. Hope to learn and wake up a few more taste buds!

Is anyone interested in or have experience modernizing antique recipes?

Hi, cajungem. Welcome to DC. Your area sounds exactly like our little county/community. We don't even have a Dairy Queen, though. And, you're right, eating out or special event food is almost always barbecue or fried fish.

Stick around and look at our forums to see what we have to offer. Enjoy! We're glad you've found us.

Cajungem,
You are so lucky that you have a DQ. I think there are only 3 left in the entire state of Oklahoma. Last time I stopped by one, the soft serve machine was broken. If I had had my lasso, I think I would have "strung up" the manager!!!! lol

Welcome aboard.

Is anyone interested in or have experience modernizing antique recipes

Hey Cajungem, sounds like a nice place to live. And what exactly do you mean "modernizing" and how antique are we talking? I use some of my gramma's cookbooks that are circa 1920-1950 do those count?

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! Hello, Alix! You sound a bit younger than me. Those years, 1920-50, were my mother's era and my FAVORITE cookbook is dated 1947 and used all the time. Have you ever heard of Rinktum ditty? It's in that book and is one of my all time favorite foods... a cheese dish with tomatoes over toast. Marvelous stuff.

What I'm talking about is earlier... I have a small collection of antique cookbooks with the earliest dated 1846. I recently modernized, or converted a recipe from another dated 1885 for Pound Cake and had great results. It's a trial and error thing of course. The original recipe called for 21 eggs and mixed the butter and flour first, rather than eggs/butter/sugar. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has tried converting and how they're coming along with it. Naturally, the recipes don't give temperature settings as there were none in those days.

I'm curious about gems now, and think I'll try those next as I just received an antique gem pan I found on eBay. The recipes sound like either English muffins, cupcakes, cornbread or maybe cupcakes!

Hello, Andy. Thanks for the epicurious recipe... I'll try it. I didn't realize Rinktum Ditty was a take-off on Welsh Rarebit, even though the recipe for it appears in the cookbook immediately after one for Welsh Rarebit! Duh.

The recipe I have always used is a "modern" version from the 1952 edition of the cookbook, "The American Woman's Cook Book" and is:
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 Tbls butter
2 cups cooked tomatoes
1 teasp salt
2 teasp sugar
1/4 teasp pepper
1/2 lb. cheese, grated (Velveeta)
1 egg, beaten

Onion cooked in the butter a bit; add all else except the egg and cheese, heat through, add cheese.. when melted, drizzle the egg into the mixture while stirring. Serve on toast. Good enough to lay down and roll in!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom