Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Health, Nutrition and Special Diets (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Coconut Milk And Cholesterol Content. (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f12/coconut-milk-and-cholesterol-content-36668.html)

execceo 07-17-2007 09:08 AM

Coconut Milk And Cholesterol Content.

Hello, I was browsing through a website and found a great banana dessert recipe. However, the dish had plenty of coconut milk. The website did mention how to make the coconut milk and coconut cream, but said nothing about the nutrition value or dangers of coconut milk. More specifically, I am interested in knowing the cholestrol danger of coconut milk or coconut cream.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks in advance.
ExecCeo.....Loves to cook.

Lizannd 07-17-2007 09:37 AM

Because it is not an animal product it doesn't have

cholesterol, but it is high in saturated fat and saturated fat raises your blood cholesterol. If you take off the hard, thick layer that rises to the top when you make it it should lower the saturated fat content. I have seen "lite" coconut milk in the stores but have never tried it. The coconut cream in the can seems to be half thick hard fat and half liquid. I just don't eat it very often in restaurants.

*amy* 07-17-2007 10:45 AM

This is what I use when a recipe calls for coconut milk:

Coconut Milk

Note that this particular brand has zero cholesterol per 1/3 cup serving (and a readout of nutritional data). I buy the "light" version.

Coconut Cream

Coconut Cream

Corey123 07-17-2007 01:41 PM

My mom used to make a cold desert from this.

She took coconut cream, shredded or chopped Coconut, some fruit cocktail, pineapple chunks, raisins and combined it all together.

It was delicious and luscious, but it WAS very fattening! We called it No-name desert because there really was no name for it.

But yes, coconut, coconut milk and coconut cream DO have a very high amount of cholesterol. As does anything that's made with tropical oils.

But I imagine that if you ate it in moderation, such as once in a VERY GREAT WHILE, it might not be so bad.

jennyema 07-17-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey123
But yes, coconut, coconut milk and coconut cream DO have a very high amount of cholesterol. As does anything that's made with tropical oils.

Corey,

Sorry but that's just not true.

Coconut products do not contain any cholesterol. No plant product does. Only animal products contain cholesterol.

Like lizzand explained, above, coconut milk contains saturated fat, which raises LDL. But it does not itself contain any cholesterol.

But people also claim that coconut oil raises HDL, or good cholesterol.

Corey123 07-17-2007 02:18 PM

Then why are health officials badmouthing it?

Doesn't it have tropical oils which are said to be bad?

Andy M. 07-17-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Jennyema explains why in her post...

black chef 07-17-2007 09:11 PM

Quote:

the soybean folks had an agenda, and it has worked wonderfully.

if coconut oil, milk, and cream were that bad, malaysians, thai, and other folks would have VERY high incidences of heart disease and cholesterol, but that's NOT the case.

meanwhile, FACTORIES are blasting cheap grade oils with hydrogen to hydrogenate them... so they can live forever on your shelves.

and you're worried about a NATURAL coconut?

don't believe the hype.

jpmcgrew 07-17-2007 09:23 PM

:smile: I thought I read some where that coconut oil is great and healthy for frying.Its been very confusing indeed dont know what to believe.

black chef 07-17-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
:smile: I thought I read some where that coconut oil is great and healthy for frying.Its been very confusing indeed dont know what to believe.

you need virgin coconut oil... not refined or hydrogenated coconut oil.

coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides, and lauric acid, etc.

remember, the same folks who vilified coconut oil, did the same to butter while promoting margarine.

and now, it's the trans fatty acids in those same hydrogenated products that has done all the damage.