Williams-Sonoma Cookbooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy,
I have several and like many of the recipes I've see in them. I've made some and those have been very good.
kadesma:)

Thanks!

I picked one up at a fleamarket for $3 and wanted to know if the recipes were worth trying.

Andy,
most of the recipes are quite good, some are stinkers:LOL: All in all, I'd buy one for 3.00 anytime...that's a great buy.

kadesma

:) I have some but have not been impressed especially with the roasted meats book I made a so called roasted venison tenderloins with blueberry sauce it turned out over cooked and not roasted at all because recipe called for putting on sauce while roasting which I believe just braised the whole thing if I had followed my own instincts I would have roasted tenderloins separatly from blueberry sauce sliced and topped with sauce but I trusted the recipe and was really dissapointed not only that but I was cooking for a somewhat well known person at my job in Texas but I did not follow my instincts however it was not the worst meal but I was very unhappy with the recipe( Im my own worst critic).I made up for it the next morning with my version of hollandaise he came back for seconds for the sauce.That morning I made Dutch Babies with fresh berries and vanilla yogurt,mini morning glory muffins with strawberry butter,fresh fruit and some other things other than Dutch Babies and the Jamie Oliver recipe with toast,fresh steamed asparagus,poached eggs,panchetta and my version of hollandaise which includes a bit of brandy,tabasco and garlic.

I tossed all the books as I think they just use recipes that have not been tested not like the ones in a simple magazine there are much better recipes out there even the ones like Good House Keeping,Womens Day,Sunset etc at least they test the recipes.In general I think Williams Sonoma is way over rated really costly for what they offer.IMHO.

Last edited:
Hmmm, brandy and tabasco on hollandaise sauce?
I sometimes reduce some nice white wine with lemon juice prior to adding it to the yolks, but never tried something stronger. I am afraid the strong flavor will overpower the eggs or the dish the sauce is complementing.

Relative to the W-S books, I've seen one at the local Borders.
It was about Paris and accuratly described drinks, breads, types of coffee and ettiquete on bistros, it had very nice pictures.
Relative to recipes, I didn't copy any since there is plenty of bibliography on French cuisine, but it looked like a nice living room table book.

Relative to their stores, I don't shop there since it is pretty expensive.

wysiwyg said:
Hmmm, brandy and tabasco on hollandaise sauce?
I sometimes reduce some nice white wine with lemon juice prior to adding it to the yolks, but never tried something stronger. I am afraid the strong flavor will overpower the eggs or the dish the sauce is complementing.
Actually its really good you cant taste the tabasco or brandy I use Christian Brothers brand also a tiny bit of garlic powder of course lemon juice I use small amounts of the odd ingredients mixed with the lemon juice.So its not a classic Hollandaise but tastes delicious and people love it. I wish I could make it for you.

I will send you a container and a self addressed envelope LOL
Please send me the recipe and I will try it. Sorry about my ignorance, but what is Christian Brothers ? A type of brandy ?

:) Christian Brothers is a mild brandy I just make hollandaise with those other ingredients will look and see if I have it written down somewhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom