Sherry substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellyd

Assistant Cook
Can I substitute Marsala wine for Sherry in a recipe for Steak Tips? I have a bottle of nice Marsala that I use basically for Chicken Marsala so I was wondering if it would impart a funny flavor in Steak Tips or do I have to buy a bottle of Sherry.

Thanks!

the two wines are different ...sherry is drier, marsala is sweeter. It will change the character of the recipe. (presuming the recipe calls for dry sherry)

I agree with Robo410, the wines are different. Using Marsala here is going to change the recipe......not necessarily a bad thing. It might even be good, especially if you like the sweetness of Marsala. I’m not sure how Marsala will mingle with beef tips, but in the end, whether you like the taste of the final product is up to you.

There aren’t any hard and set rules saying you CAN’T do it; it’s not like the Wine Police are going to come and get you! The real question is: will you like the flavors of the recipe once it’s done? There’s two ways to think of it:
1)The tastes may not mingle and you could ruin the dish (you don’t like the taste and won’t eat it), or
2)Every recipe was newly created at some point in history.....who knows, you may create a new recipe in trying this?

What else is in the recipe? Can you post it?

If you are making an asian marinade, like teriyaki, I would not use marsala. Just leave the sherry out.

If it isn't an asian marinade and if it is a dry marsala then yes, by all means you can use it.

Both sherry and marsala are fortified wines and they do taste different but a dry sherry and a dry marsala are not that far off, taste-wise.

A sweet marsala may not be the right "partner" for steak tips.

ellyd said:
Can I substitute Marsala wine for Sherry in a recipe for Steak Tips? I have a bottle of nice Marsala that I use basically for Chicken Marsala so I was wondering if it would impart a funny flavor in Steak Tips or do I have to buy a bottle of Sherry.

Thanks!
It will be a different flavor, but not a funny one, imho! I've made that substitution, too, with good success. That is, if the Marsala you have is the DRY! The sweet Marsala, I don't think I'd try. :ermm:

Thank you all so much for your answers! The recipe calls for a dry Spanish Sherry. I checked my bottle of Marsala and it said "Sweet" so I'm going to go out and buy a bottle of Sherry.

This is actually the first time I've posted here after reading all the posts. This is a wonderful place! I'm really going to like it here.:)

Sweet sherry is similar enough in taste to substitute it for marsala and vice-versa. The taste will be a little different, but the results will be OK. If it is dry sherry, go for a white wine. BUT ... as everyone has said, give it a try. What the heck, you might like it.

ellyd said:
Thank you all so much for your answers! The recipe calls for a dry Spanish Sherry. I checked my bottle of Marsala and it said "Sweet" so I'm going to go out and buy a bottle of Sherry.

This is actually the first time I've posted here after reading all the posts. This is a wonderful place! I'm really going to like it here.:)
Elly:

The kind you want is labeled "Fino." :chef:

I've used vermouth as a replacement for sherry with success in the past. Though, your mileage may vary...

Back
Top Bottom