Beet Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Posted in fun, because food should be fun. It is a blessing and when sharing recipes or the food itself it's hard to not be of good will. I hope you agree.

i have read many things on this site, but there are none that i agree with more.

kudos, david. :chef:

btw, have you mentioned borscht? ;)

Last edited:
Who told that borsch is traditionally Ukraine dish? I always thought that this is traditional Polish soup. It sounds like in Ukraine there is nothing to be proud of.

P.S. I knew I'd forget something. I completely missed out on the beans and tomato sauce. Both can be added almost before the end. Beans are cooked already, so no need to cook them much longer. Tomato sauce is mostly for color and originaly it was probably tomatoes, but even if you did not put any it is not going to have that much affect. Hey, people put lemon juice and bay leaves, something the Ukrainian vilage has not seen probably ever.

Last edited:
Who told that borsch is traditionally Ukraine dish? I always thought that this is traditional Polish soup. It sounds like in Ukraine there is nothing to be proud of.

:chef: Yes, indeed there is recipe for Polish Borscht, as well as Russian, or Hungarian or many others for that matter. But the original Borscht, according to some food historians, was originated in Ukraine. And as far as being proud Ukrainians have a lot to be proud of, especially when it comes to food. Your comment is at best foolish at worst is very rude :mad:.

And while I am on a subject of Borscht there are few and far between that I like, because majority of them are cheap imitation of an original.

P.S.

to David. Traditional way to serve borscht is with garlic rolls, called pampushki and a side of buckweat kasha.

Borsch and international arguments! :)

To CharlieD :chef:, honorable executive chef from a lowly assistant,:mellow:. Kudos, kudos, and thank you - I told everyone that just mention borsch in an international forum and there could be a food fight!:ermm: Everyone and I mean everyone wants to claim it, but yes indeed the food historians do believe it originated in Ukraine - sorry to everyone else. And in Poland and everywhere there is borsch - for the uninformed please go to Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans and click on the World's Best Borsch tab. I'm hunting for a Hungarian possibility and maybe one from Belarus and perhaps another from Poland. Like I said, I haven't met a borsch I didn't like. Peace :)!

Yes, way back lemons were pretty scarce in Ukraine I expect - even up to recently,and bay leaves, well yes they are in use now sometimes called laural leaves in translation. Take a look at the little collection. I shall be adding a recipe for pampushka to the little collection there - with the garlic infused oil.
Kasha I like, but was not aware of it as something to go with borsch.

I do enjoy your comments and comments about the lore - borsch is a food folk lore is in not. I have read comments in other places where the writer went absolutely balistic about the subject. :wacko: D

The great borsch war! :)

Dear Home Cook - I really like your website, Go Girl!:) If you might be of Polish tradition, please do remember that the Polish people are also Slavs just like the Ukrainians. Let there be peace between the tribes! Yes, informed food historians do believe that the basic dish originated in Ukraine - using beet roots. There is a old tradition of a soup in Poland going way back that apparently used nettles, Cow Parsley, barszcz? I forget now. Take a look at Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans under the World's Best Borsch tab and look at the Polish recipes. Maybe you have another good one I could add - authentic Polish, maybe an old family favorite. Cheers, D

My Mom always used sour salt aka citric acid crystals, in her borsch. I would like to make a pot like Mom's but I can not find sour salt any more in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Where do you Charlie D or anyone in my area get sour salt???

JC

I do not know about your area. Here in the States any grocery store has a small kosher section and that is where I find "sour salt" or any kosher grocery store. It can also be replaced by simple lemon juice.

Now, having said that, I urge you not to use any of the above ingredients.

To saur or not to saur, is that the question?

Charlie, Question from this humble beginner cook. When you recommend not to use saur salt and I assume also lemon juice, how about the cold borsch(t):) recipe? I assume that the lack of meat broth requires a bit of sour to create the mild and mellow tart taste. Am I reading your comments and recipe correctly? Personally, I like a nice cold borsch but haven't tried your cold one. Thanks, D

Citric Acid, sour salt and Tartaric Acid Crystals

thank you for your responses. I looked at a local drugstore as one of your members advised. the superstore drugist had no idea what I was talking about but my local Delton Drugs had citric Acid on the shelf as well as Tartaric Acid Crystals.

I had emailed empire spice mills of Winnipeg who made my Mom's sour salt. They replied that they still make sour salt but they currently sell it as Tartaric Acid Crystals, available in Alberta at Nutters and some Sobeys.

I have used my new "citric acid" sour salt in a pot of meatless borsch and it has turned out like my Mom's which was what I aimed for. We eat it hot. Sour cream is optional.

JC.

Last edited:
I do not know about your area. Here in the States any grocery store has a small kosher section and that is where I find "sour salt" or any kosher grocery store. It can also be replaced by simple lemon juice.

Now, having said that, I urge you not to use any of the above ingredients.

Charlie, As to the saur salt - if the cook took the long road and made kvass as in the "old days" before lemons and saur salt in Ukraine would that give the desired taste without the dreaded chemicals? Can't have a quick bowl of cold borscht that way but it would be authentic would it not?

I do use saur salt in cold borscht, but very little. For a 3 quart pot I add a very small pinch of it. Lemon juice would work.
I've never made kvas my self, but I guess it would work too. But it would be more Russian than Ukkrainian.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom