Alcoholic Ice Creams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
I mean, as opposed to alcoholic beverages.

There's a new line of high-end ice cream here being marketed as 'adult ice cream'. All the flavors have pretty significant alcohol content. For example, they have a B-52 flavor that's vanilla with Bailey's and Kahlua. Boy, I could really taste the alcohol! They sell the ice cream by scoops as well. Naturally I don't think they sell to minors.

I want to make my own to serve to guests after dinner! However, as I know alcohol retards freezing, what's the technique or does anyone have a recipe they can share? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Sorry I can't help. You can get away with small amounts for flavor, but I've never tried to use more.

Sounds odd, if it had a lot of the grand dads cough medicine in it, it would not set up to be ice cream. The highest proof "Adult Slurpees" I have had are 150 proof, but like I said, more of a slurpee...Wet Willies of Savannah Georgia, how I miss you.

Like Andy said, a small amount added to your base might do the trick, but I would suggest a liquior versus a spirit.

Do you think they use a flavored extract as opposed to the real liquor? I know our restaurant supply store has a huge supply of flavors (I think primarily for coffee) with a large amount of alcoholic flavors.

I'll have to ask them about the % alcohol content of their product next time I pass by.

I read somewhere that through some technological breakthrough, a particular U.S. company has been able to successfully combine alcohol in ice cream making.

PA, I don't think they were using just flavor extracts. I felt the alcohol hit just from a teaspoon for flavor sampling.

Some recipes on the web I was looking at calls for burning off the alcohol in the liqueur before adding to the ice cream mix. That's not what I'm looking for. I want the hit! :-p

to get the most flavor out of some alcoholic products, you can try reducing them. Just careful with beer, it becomes something comparable to angosutra bitters. :x

Back
Top Bottom