ISO hot pepper sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolgirl

Senior Cook
This is my first post on here (I think). This site is wonderful for all of the info you can read.:) We have an abundance of cowhorn pepper. I would like to make just plain ole hot pepper sauce with vinegar. My mother used to make it , but I am not sure if it is just the vinegar,pepper and salt or what. I have looked on the internet but have not found it. Any suggestions? Thanks, Faye

Miss Faye....

Take your peppers and wash & dry them off a bit. Cut up. Loosely pack in mason type jars if you have them. Add some salt if you wish. Heat the vinegar on the stove (not boiling) just hot, and pour over the peppers until the jar is full. Put a lid on, and you are good to go. Wait at least a week before using.

CAUTION: WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER HANDLING!!!

Thanks Uncle Bob for such a quick reply. this sounds like what I was looking for. How much salt do you think? maybe a1/4 t. for a pt or 1/2. I don't know if my mother put in any at all in hers.
Yes, a good caution about handling the peppers. In fact I am going to use some gloves for this. I have been guilty of having the pepper to burn before and it is awful. Thanks, Faye

I sometimes put a teaspoon in a quart jar. So 1/2 teaspoon in a pint would be fine. At times I don't put any salt. Most times I do however.

Thanks again Uncle Bob. I know now where to go and find info on foods.I will probably fix several jars Monday. Won't this be good on turnip greens and other veggies this winter. Some foods just need this little extra for the flavoring. Faye

I make all of my hot pepper sauce for an intire year. I wash all of my peppers then put them in a big pot (5 gal) and add white vinegar a cup of salt and 2 TBL of black pepper corns, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 2 large cans of tomatoe sauce turn on the heat and let it come to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour the when cool puree in the blender and bottle in what ever jars, bottles you have. I refrigerat mine and have never had a problem9 I usually have a bushel and a half of ripe jalpenos and what ever the farmes mkt. has left on there last day, of bell pepperes cayenn, hope this helps.

Please be careful with canning stuff folks - regardless of the fact that your methods "have always worked for you & no one has ever gotten sick". I nearly died (literally) from eating a gift of some home-canned pickled jalapeno peppers once, & it was definitely an experience that I never want to relive.

Just because they're hot peppers & you use a lot of vinegar doesn't mean you still shouldn't follow strict instructions for canning acid food products.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom