Saute pan or chef pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glen8

Assistant Cook
Hi all

I'm new to the forum so hello to everyone and here I go with a newbie question.

I've decided to get a bit more serious about my cooking at home and lash out on some good cookware. The first piece I'm going to buy will either be a chef's pan or a saute pan. They both seem to fit my requirements for sauteing, stir fries, simmering and the odd bit of frying.
Are there any major drawbacks to either pan for my sort of useage?

Secondly, I wanted to buy uncoated stainless steel cookware. I have found the Scanpan Impact range but does anyone know of any other brands?

Thanks heaps
Glen

Last edited:
Other Brand

I highly recommend the brand that I use at home (but not many people in the US know about) called Fissler. I use their Original Pro Collection, and it's easy to clean, durable, and beautiful. These pans are all stainless, and the handles stay cooler than any other cookware I've had on a gas range. Regarding the chef/saute pan question, I have the saute pan in the same line I mentioned above, and it's great for many types of cooking. The best part of this cookware is it's guaranteed against warping (has a special base), so you can deglaze in it without fear! Also, the lid has a special shape that speeds up condensation so food in the center constantly gets moistened. The company's website is Fissler USA, but they're on Amazon too. Hope this helps, and happy shopping!

Katie E said:
Hi, glen. Welcome to DC.

If you want to try something that is quite useful, check out this pan at Amazon's Friday Sale today.

Don't know if it ships to your area, but Amazon's Friday Sale area is a great place to look for bargains.
Great minds think alike Katie. I just ordered this pan today for one of my grown sons. I have the Calphalon Tri-ply Stainless version of this pan and it's the one I use more than any of my other pans. I have all Calphalon and All-Clad cookware which I got one piece at a time from Amazon, ebay and a couple of great estate sales. But mostly Amazon because they usually have at least one great deal on cookware every week.
Terry

glennate, i just bought the tramontina 5 qt. stainless steel saute for around 30 bucks american, and really like it.

i've found it's easier to see how well things are getting browned better than my old non-stick pans, which had a dark interior surface.

so far, i've made risotto, cacciatore, fried chicken cutlets, stew, and basmati and wild rice in it, and all have come out well.

about the only thing that i can think to be wary of is on larger pans, the handles are sometimes too long to fit in the oven.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for all the leads and info guys.

The Fissler and Tramontina brands are both available here and look like good gear. I'll look into them further.
This pan is in the lead so far:
Buy Scanpan Impact Chef Pan 32cm - Kitchen Warehouse Australia
It has the size, goes straight from the top into the oven, glass lid and is also a good price.
It's all pretty exciting, the internet is wonderful for shopping!

I prefer stainless.

As to chef's or saute, it's a matter of preference. The chef's pan is more easily put into an oven with other roasting pans or casseroles because you don't have to worry about the long handle.

On the other hand, I feel the saute pan with a long handle is easier to use on the top of the stove.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom