Music while cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,

While you cook at home or in a restaurant, what do you listen to, aside from the other cooks and waiters/waitresses? And what do you listen to at home while cooking? Also, what do you like to drink?

Just to kick this thread off, I'll say what I like:

For music, any song by Korn, Slipknot, Disturbed, Static-X or something from the radio.

For drinking, while working or at home, nothing alcoholic. Ideally, a nice red bull, sobe, beaver buzz or rockstar. If none of those, some dr.pepper or pepsi.

I have a small color TV with cable, so sometimes I watch/listen to the news or the Food Network while cooking (it was more fun when Good Eats came on at 7 p.m., when I usually start cooking during the week). Sometimes I listen to a sort of easy listening station on the radio; I'm not much for collecting music and playing specific CDs.

I used to drink wine while cooking, but I've had stomach problems lately, so now I drink plain water or lemonade.

The only time I play music when cooking is when I BBQ ribs, etc. Then I play Blues! It sets the stage, and seems to make the ribs extremely tender!

Enjoy!

I love to listening to music if I am cooking. I usually try and pick something that goes with the menu if you know what I mean.

At home, I prefer to have the TV on to the nightly news. The doesn't settle with the kids, as they want to watch cartoons. I'll drink whatever I have on hand, water, koolaid, fruit juice, soda pop, a beer if I'm lucky, etc.

At work, we are lucky enough to have a radio. Most of the cooks, as well as myself, are happy with classic rock. The Chef likes to listen to NPR. One of the night cooks likes to listen to "alternative rock", which sounds like what llvllagical_llkook listens to, if I recognize the band names.

When I drink something at work (which is quite frequently, considering the heat), it's usually water, lemonade, soda pop if I feel daring (don't like to drink caffeine, as it dehydrates me), and I stay away from alcohol completely (against company policy, plus it dehydrates me).

Blues while making ribs? Maybe I'll try that. From the sounds of it, many aren't quite familiar nor do some like the metal and rock genre. I understand this, but listen to a song called Twisted Transistor by Korn. It's more of a club-like song, no screaming or anything like that, no senseless pounding of the drums or guitars.

llvllagical_llkook said:
Blues while making ribs? Maybe I'll try that. From the sounds of it, many aren't quite familiar nor do some like the metal and rock genre. I understand this, but listen to a song called Twisted Transistor by Korn. It's more of a club-like song, no screaming or anything like that, no senseless pounding of the drums or guitars.

Actually, I’m fan of that genre myself. I’m a fan of all types of music actually, but my preference is for hard rock. I’ve got Static-X’s debut album, my fav on that one is Push-It.

I love Disturbed, with Sickness being one of my favorites.

I’m also a fan of Drowning Pool, Rob Zombie, White Zombie, Metallica, Ramstein, Godsmack, Mudvayne, Pantera, etc.......

I also like softer rock like AC/DC, Nickelback, Dokken, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Guns and Roses, Cinderella, Puddle of Mud, Evanescence, Stone Temple Pilots, Everlast, etc......

I’ve never been a huge fan of Korn, but I do love their remake of “Word-Up”. They did a really good job on that. Speaking of remakes, Disturbed’s remake of “Land of Confusion” is excellent as well. Metallica’s remake of “Turn the Page” is pretty good, and Alien Ant Farm’s “Smooth Criminal” is really good.

I have a rather varied and eclectic taste in music. ;)

Oh, and Uncle Bob, I absolutely LOVE the Blues!!!!

Last edited:
Generally, whatever is playing on XM Deep Tracks works for me, except for... there are always exceptions... special occasions, holidays or particular dishes where I'll ...choose suitable "food-mood" music... Try repeating that quickly three times (ok, not great grammatically but it is fun to say) :)

G

Well, to be truthfull, after 3-4 busy bee kids all day, and my DH blasting the ORiely Factor from two tv's at the same time..ear plugs are my best friend..When I'm trying to count cups of something I'll take a big dose of QUIET!!! :LOL: I love most music, but not when I'm busy, it distracts me and dancing,which I tend to find myself doing and whisking at the same time don't mix..
kadesma

Keltin, I love your taste in music. I'm not a big fan of AC/DC, def lepard and some others, but do like evanescence. Korn is not a popular band among many, but oh well. Do you like Ten Thousand Fists by Disturbed or Marilyn Manson's remake of Sweet Dreams? So far keltin, you're the first on here that I know who likes my idea of good music. Blues I'm not as much a fan for, except songs by Steve Rai Vaughan (jazz/blues) are absolutely amazing.

llvllagical_llkook said:
Keltin, I love your taste in music. I'm not a big fan of AC/DC, def lepard and some others, but do like evanescence. Korn is not a popular band among many, but oh well. Do you like Ten Thousand Fists by Disturbed or Marilyn Manson's remake of Sweet Dreams? So far keltin, you're the first on here that I know who likes my idea of good music. Blues I'm not as much a fan for, except songs by Steve Rai Vaughan (jazz/blues) are absolutely amazing.

Oh yeah, Ten Thousand Fists is a great song. I’ve never been a big fan of Manson, but I do like his remake of Sweet Dreams....not bad, and a nice spin on the original.

Have you heard of Ramstein before? I love Du Hast! If you haven’t heard it, you must treat yourself. They are a German band, and the lyrics are in German....but it is great!

Oh, have you ever heard of Stabbing Westward? Awesome band....a bit depressing, but really, really good. If you ever go through a “break-up” that is THE band to listen to! So much anger in those guys!!!! LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Rammstein? Yes, I love them. Stabbing Westward I've never heard of. When cooking with spices, my favourites are songs by Slipknot or Marilyn Manson's Beautiful People.

I'm usually listening to Big Hair bands i.e. Poison, Warrant, Bon Jovi, etc...
Alot of 80's music. Or classic rock. Sometimes country, depending on my mood.

The radio comes on when I get up and is on all day. It's even on when I'm not at home. For some goofy reason, I think our inside kitties like to have it on. (Maybe evidence that mommy and daddy are at home.)

Having said that, we are usually listening to our favorite country music as we cook.

Nothin' more fun than to listen to Big and Rich sing "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" while cooking dinner.

It's not unusual for us to drop our spatulas and tongs and do a little two-step in the kitchen.

buckytom said:
so that's how the two step was invented, trying to dance around kitchen utensils...:)
You got it BT:LOL: I've gotten pretty good at hot footin it...
kadesma:ROFLMAO:

Music

I have the XM satilitte (sp) in my computer room with a 20 ft speaker wire. I take to the kitchen when I'm cooking.
Country -- REAL COUNTRY -- Music Channel 13 "Willie's Place". All the Hank's - Williams, Thompson, Locklin and Williams Jr., Ernest Tubb, Charlie Pride,Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynet, Marty Robbins. All the GREATS.
As a Plus there are no commericals!

Charlie

Listen to a lot of NPR, but as far as music, it is never the radio. A lot of different CD's from Zero 7 to Old school Dead Kennedys, Floyd to Phish.

middie said:
I'm usually listening to Big Hair bands i.e. Poison, Warrant, Bon Jovi, etc...
Alot of 80's music. Or classic rock. Sometimes country, depending on my mood.

Excellent choice! Long live the 80's!!!! Ahhhhh....those were the days! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom