Chili Cook-Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
There is a large chili cook-off between the place I work and several other businesses. I've been selected as the one to make the chili for our team. Does anyone have any knock-your-socks-off chili recipes??

The ICS website is great. It has the recipes for award winning chilis. Of course, if you want beans in the chili you will have to wing that part. As I understand it the main categories for competition ban even a lowely kidney bean.

Wow...lot's of great recipes on that site...with LOTS of ingredients. Anyone know what Tradewinds brand seasonings are and where to find them? It looks like a lot of the award winners use this seasoning.

Well I have won a few cook offs with my chili. It isn't hard, although amounts aren't specific.. it's made by taste...

start with fine diced bacon or panchetta. Fry up enough to get a nice amount of fat/seasoning in a dutch oven. Into that place sirloin that has been cut up into cubes.

For a nice 1.5 lb sirloin(with ALL fat removed) brown until half done then add one nice diced onion and the same amount of various chili peppers.(about 3/4 cup) You can vary the types of peppers to the heat you want. More mild than hot peppers for mild, more hot for hot......I generally have at least 5 different types--NO Jalapeños!! or Scotch Bonnet's.. they have the wrong flavor...

Liberally sprinkle the meat, onions and peppers with chili powder.

When the meat, onions, peppers are done pour on about 1 cup of scotch whiskey DO NOT USE bourbon, it will not taste right. It really needs to be scotch--it can be fairly cheap scotch but not "bottom of the barrel". Stir and allow that to cook down into a nice sauce.

In a pot place your chili beans. I like 1/2 mild 1/2 hot. Add a nice amount of diced tomatoes(a can is fine). Bring that up to temperature. Add the meat mixture WITH the sauce in the dutch oven. Add one more cup scotch(no I am not kidding).

Add some juice from the jar of banana peppers, a few of the peppers too, some Worcestershire sauce and a few good dashes of your favorite hot sauce(optional).

Add tomato juice to bring it to the consistency you want. Let simmer for at least 15 minutes to cook the alcohol off.

There you go, Tasty steak/scotch chili...

I have done this on site at cook offs with a single burner propane stove. We did 7 gallons(9 lbs of steak).

Last edited:
There is a large chili cook-off between the place I work and several other businesses. I've been selected as the one to make the chili for our team. Does anyone have any knock-your-socks-off chili recipes??

how funny, i'm also in a chili cookoff. i'm not cooking though, just organizing, getting the entrants, judges, etc. I would be interested to hear the results. mine isn't until 10/6 - so far we have 12 entries.

good luck to you! do you know the judging categories?

Add tomato juice to bring it to the consistency you want. Let simmer for at least 15 minutes to cook the alcohol off.

Just FYI, hardly any alcohol will cook off in just 15 minutes. You need to simmer for hours to get most of it and then you can never get rid of it all.

IMO chili should have a minimum of tomatoes. Puree a bunch of toasted ancho chiles; use beer instead of water; add some unsweetened chocolate for a richer, deeper flavor.

My plan is to make a good chili, and drink the 16 oz of Scotch while it's cooking. The chili will be delicious, and you will be very, very happy!;)

That chili cook-off went pretty well....check here for the recipe I used...I discussed it on another thread. Since I won, I'll be representing my company in the Tri-County cook-off now in another few weeks.:cool:

Just FYI, hardly any alcohol will cook off in just 15 minutes. You need to simmer for hours to get most of it and then you can never get rid of it all.

IMO chili should have a minimum of tomatoes. Puree a bunch of toasted ancho chiles; use beer instead of water; add some unsweetened chocolate for a richer, deeper flavor.

Hence why he won the cook off. lol.

Back
Top Bottom