Chicago Food - Carson's Au Gratin Potato Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lma4239

Assistant Cook
I would love to find a recipe for the Au Gratin potatoes served at Carson's Rib in Chicago area. Similar potatoes are served at Don and Charlie's in Scottsdale, AZ (I've heard "Don" is a Carson from Chicago). I found many good sounding recipes online but none seem to be the type of cheesy potatoes that are served in these restaurants. I contacted Carson's but they will not divulge their recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh, I love potato casseroles. But it might be helpful if you gave the folks here an idea about how that dish differs from the many recipes you have reviewed.

Carson's Ribs Au Gratin Potatoes, part 2

Thanks, auntdot, for your suggestion. Carson's au gratins are very dry, while most of the recipes I've come across have a sauce. I think there are some minced onions (I taste onions rather than see them) in the dish and it appears to be cheddar cheese used on top.

As for the onion flavor, I would guess the onions were grated and added to the potatoes. When grated onions are included in a dish, they practically disappear but provide a nice flavor.

I just created a crock-pot macaroni and cheese recipe that I had grated onions in and it turned out great. Wonderful onion flavor.

Back
Top Bottom