Kernel Cutter - Making Freezer Corn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candelbc

Senior Cook
Does anyone have one of these?

Kernel Cutter - Kitchen Krafts

I just picked one up at my local Kitchen Collection, but it didn't come with any instructions. I've heard good things about them..

All that I really want to know is whether I cut the kernels off of the Cob before or after I boil the corn?

-Brad

I've never used one Brad. I have heard they are not as easy to use as it may appear. I've always cut corn off prior to blanching/cooking. Lately I/ve heard of it being done afterwards. So maybe run some test to decide what works best for you.

Goof Luck & Enjoy!

I have two, so more hands can help... I use it for making maques choux for 50. I also use it on raw corn....never tried it on cooked corn.

Don't know about the one you have a link too,

but this is what I use:

VINTAGE AMERICAN CORN CUTTER Design 185,140 - (item 260148009423 end time Aug-14-07 16:15:29 PDT)

I was a bit disconcerted to see it listed as "vintage". I bought mine new, a "few" years ago :LOL: . I used a tip I saw recently on another corn thread here, and soaked my blanched corn in a sink full of ice water, before cutting the kernels off the cob. It really did cut down on the splattering. i bought a 22 pound bag of ice and used every cube.

I have always blanched the corn cobs before removing the kernels, so I have no experience with cutting the kernels off raw.

Good luck.:rolleyes:

I cut mine off when the corn is raw. Sometimes I think it is just as easy to use a knife like my mom did, but my son likes the corn cutter.

I've always used a regular or electric knife with good success, but this was cheap enough to try. I will try it un-blanched first and see what that gets me

Thanks for all the feedback...

-Brad

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom