Grilling Quail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I've only had quail once or twice - & that was in restaurants. Have never cooked it myself. And while I'm not normally a big-time impulse buyer, our local WalMart had frozen vacuum packages of farm-raised, no-hormones, no antibiotics, butterflied & preseasoned quail "ready for the grill". Four to a package for $5 & change. It was too tempting to pass up - lol!!

Did a search both on this forum & on the internet & while I did find some interesting recipes for roasting quail indoors, nothing about outdoor grilling that was intriguing.

I'd like to do these on the grill this weekend, & while I can whip my way around a chicken 20 times over - lol - was just wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas for these little birds. (The "preseasoning" mentioned on the package doesn't seem to be more than salt, pepper, & spices, & from the look of the meat, I doubt there's a lot of it.)

It's been years since I tried grilling quail. Since they're so small, I'd recommend using a cooler fire than you're normally used to, so that it gives you a bigger "window" of time to pull them off, before they burn. I'm thinking 5 minutes per side, if that.

Have never grilled them, sorry. I love them deep fried. Or I debone them, leaving just the wing and leg bones intact, and stuff them with flavored wild rice and Mandarin orange slices. Then they go in the oven.

That is all I can offer.

Yes - I agree with the cooler fire. That's the one thing I'm nervous about - incinerating the poor little things, especially since they're already butterflied flat. I'm thinking that I'll treat them sort of like I would flattened boneless skinless chicken breasts & will test one for doneness often. I'll be doing them tomorrow & will just consider it an experiment. Heck, 4 to a package for $5 & change - what do I have to lose?

Quail is delicious. I like to serve quail either as an app or in an entree type salad. To me, it doesn't really go well with a heavy starch or sauce. Two ways that I like to serve it would be with bitter greens (think rocket) with a citrus-type vinaigrette, or with blanched vegetables (new/yukon potatoes, baby carrots, haricot verts, tomato, etc.) with a pommery mustard or whole grain mustard vinaigrette.

Now that sounds good. I do have tiny baby red-skinned potatoes, some baby carrots, heirloom tomatoes, & - while not haricot verts - some decent green beans. Wonder if I could do some sort of roasted vegetable packet at the same time I'm grilling the quail.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom