What's a good substitute for Bacon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Cp

Cook
What's a good substitute for Bacon in dishes... i.e. bacon-wrapped filets or chicken etc...

I actually hate myself for even having to ask such a rediculous question as everything in Life is better w/ bacon.. but I know a gal who won't buy pork...

I don't eat pork but my kids enjoy turkey bacon. It is a pretty good substitute but then again I don't eat it often (too much grease even in that turkey bacon for my taste) and since I don't eat pork I am not sure how it compares to the real thing.

I am sure someone else will add their experiences. From everything I have heard it's a good substitute.

For barding I can think of no substitue, since bacon adds both fat and flavor. Sorry.

I agree bacon make everything better.

Give the turkey bacon a try. If you're looking for another fat, consider duck fat. If you want the smokey flavor, there's liquid smoke.

I have a couple of friends who won't eat pork, including bacon. I've tasted turkey bacon, and I honestly don't care for it, but perhaps I haven't used the right brand. It might be OK on the chicken, but I sure wouldn't wrap it around a fillet. The steak will be fine without it, anyway.

If you want something to season vegetables (like beans, greens, etc) or soups, smoked turkey wings will give you that flavor without all the fat. Please don't remove the skin, though, since that's where the flavor is.

You can also buy smoked salt on line. I ordered some, but haven't tried it yet, so I can't tell you whether or not it's worth buying. I also haven't tried the liquid smoke.

Yep Constance, we will make soups, or greens, using smoked turkey wings, as well as pork hocks and ham bones, or almost anyother ham source we can find. But generally do not like turkey substitutes such as turkey bacon. Don't even favor ground turkey meat.

Liquid smoke am not a fan of. Have used it rarely and very sparingly. If you are making a dish and along into the cooking want a touch of smokey flavor, it will add one. But somehow it never makes me really happy.

Just my opinion. Take care y'all.

I have freinds who prefer not to eat pork for religious reasons. So in that case, turkey bacon, smoked beef of some sort, or just don't use that recipe.

I like german thin sliced black forest ham as a wrap.
there May be another way if you adapt a little, you can by Bacon bitz that are Vegan friendly! they taste quite good as well considering they`ve never even seen a piggy :)
maybe you could make a Stuffing with that instead?

I agree that proscuitto is a good sub for bacon, but with one problem. If the person won't eat bacon because it's pork, they won't eat proscuitto for the same reason.

Since my husband doesn't eat red meat - turkey bacon is a staple here & it works fine in every & any application that doesn't require the production of bacon grease, since it's virtually fat-free. In situations where I need to produce a bacon-flavored fat substance (like German-style potato salad for instance), I'll cook the bacon in a couple of dollops of extra-virgin olive oil, which does the trick.

And for those of you who hate turkey bacon, but might still like to use it - there are quite a few brands out there now, & you might just find one you like. Granted, it's not "real " bacon (which I do buy for myself during prime tomato & thus prime BLT season - lol!!), but it does have it's good points & works well in a lot of dishes where you might be looking to reduce the fat content.

How about prosciutto - if it's not too expensive.

I was going to suggest prosciutto as a replacement for bacon, too--not because it'd solve the pork problem, but because when cooked like bacon it tastes EVEN BETTER.

And I'll agree with all the recommendations of turkey bacon--it ain't at all bad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom