Corn or Flour Tortillas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carolelaine

Senior Cook
I have always thought that enchiladas should be made with corn tortillas, but I saw a recipe on Tylers Ultimate for chicken enchiladas made with flour tortillas. So, against my better judgement I made it. The sauce was okay the filling was okay, but I hated the flour tortillas in there. It may be just a matter of what one is used to having. What do you guys think, corn or flour?

I've used both and will eat both. My kids are half and half, 2 like corn and 2 like flour so I always end up with both:LOL: My favorite are flour. Neither is wrong, it's just a matter of which tastes the best to you.
kadesma

I was watching Emeril a bit a go, and he fried some tortilla strips for a dish he as making. It made me think about Doritos….tortilla chips. Anyone actually cut up corn tortillas and fry them as chips? Ever spice them up with something like powered cheese (do they make that….mac and cheese pack comes to mind) like a Dorito? How were they? I may have to start making my own!

I've heard of this but never done it. Also I have ehard of making dumplings out of the flour ones....Go figure!

Dumplings? Really? I may have to try that one day. I’ve done a fast a furious chicken and dumplings with canned biscuits that is ok….I wonder how the flour tortillas would be (could they possibly swell at all)? Interesting. Thanks for the idea!

Dumplings? Really? I may have to try that one day. I’ve done a fast a furious chicken and dumplings with canned biscuits that is ok….I wonder how the flour tortillas would be (could they possibly swell at all)? Interesting. Thanks for the idea!

They are not the kind of dumplings you might imagine, keltin. They're not the fat, puffy ones. Rather they are the thinner "slippery" ones.

Anyone actually cut up corn tortillas and fry them as chips? Ever spice them up with something like powered cheese (do they make that….mac and cheese pack comes to mind) like a Dorito? How were they? I may have to start making my own!

There is a "spice" to put on popcorn that is cheesy flavoured powder. Made by Kernels. They have all kinds of flavours and Nacho cheese is a very popular one. I haven't done the tortilla chip thing, but you are giving me ideas.

As for the corn vs flour tortilla thing, well I like my homemade corn soft taco shells but prefer flour tortillas for enchiladas and all other kinds of wraps.

It's all about the "juice" anyway....and the cornbread that "falls" into it:LOL:

Thanks for the info Katie! I was wondering if they would “puff up” or not! While I do like a good dumpling, I gots to agree with UB and say it’s the sauce/juice that makes it the winner (doesn’t everyone just eat spoon fulls of the sauce with chicken as if it were a soup…not every bite needs a dumpling right? Corn bread is a different matter!). So now I’m curious….good gravy/sauce/juice……slippery thin dumplings……I’ve not had that before. I really may try this!

:)You guys are taking this totally out of context corn tortillas are used for enchiladas the flour tortillas are for burritos.You can not make dumplings out of either.You can make tortilla chips from raw corn tortillas fried in oil and then salted I like using peanut oil.Corn tortillas fried fresh and salted are the best.A soft taco is made with a flour tortilla or a corn tortilla that has not been fried with the filling and cheese but eaten like a taco, a burrito is filled and can be covered with sauce or not if its covered in sauce and some more cheese its called smothered ..Also in New Mexico enchiladas are not rolled up we stack them like pancakes putting the meat filling and cheese between the layers on individual plates.We also make a puffy dough bread that is fried and it puffs up while frying and ends up with a hollow pocket(sopaipillas) we like to fill them with honey and eat with the meal or after.
Where is Corazon when I need her?

Last edited:
Here I am!
Ditto what jpmc said.
Nothing like a red chile enchilada with a fried egg on top.
I don't think I've ever had enchiladas with flour tortillas and the idea sounds kind of soggy to me. Corn tortillas can soak up more juice and flavor and delicious chile. Generally for enchiladas, the corn tortillas are briefly fried then, like jpmc said, stacked with a layer of chile inbetween and topped with a fried egg or two.
Man I am hungry.
Also a side note on soapapillas, these you can also fill with chile and meat for a stuffed soapapilla. I like mine with honey for dessert. yum. I've never tried making them, maybe I should. jpmc, have you ever made them from scratch?

I was watching Emeril a bit a go, and he fried some tortilla strips for a dish he as making. It made me think about Doritos….tortilla chips. Anyone actually cut up corn tortillas and fry them as chips? Ever spice them up with something like powered cheese (do they make that….mac and cheese pack comes to mind) like a Dorito? How were they? I may have to start making my own!
Keltin,
my family loves it when we fry up our own tortilla strips, they especially love the flour tortillas cut up, fried and salted then use them for salsa, or avocado dip. Another fave is to break them into homemade chicken mexican soup with lots of cumin in the soup..Yummy ;)
kadesma

Keltin I`ve also done that but with the Corn type, as for flavoring I find the Natcho Cheese sachets used for coating potato wedges are great :)

This thread has enlightened me on a few points. Sometimes I used flour and sometimes corn. It is true that the corn absorb the sauces where the flour tortillas just get soggy and almost tough. Funny it took reading something to make me realize where I sometimes go wrong. From now on flour for burritos, corn for enchiladas.

Do most of you make your own tortillas? I use store bought.

Back
Top Bottom