So I need some serious help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theunnakedchef

Assistant Cook
Ok so i have invited this girl round for dinner, i really like her and have done for a long time, and somehow it ended up that i am going to cook for her.
So i have never really cooked with me only being 18.
I need something that is simple to cook, but effective, i was thinking of doing a BBQ weather permitting but then again what should i put on that, suggestions would be very helpful.
I have 5 days to decide what I'm going to cook to impress her, and to get the ingredients.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi, Chef. Here's an idea: Get a couple of boneless pork chops and just before grilling, brush on a sauce made of a few tablespoons of Dijon mustard and about half a teaspoon of crumbled dried thyme. Grill about 3-4 minutes per side. To go with them, we like to have twice-baked potatoes. Here's an easy recipe: http://www.pbs.org/everydayfood/recipes/twice_baked_potatoes.html

Then a green salad and you're good to go. We don't have dessert much, but Rachael Ray on "30 Minutes Meals" has lots of good ideas for quick, easy desserts. Here's one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_35505,00.html?rsrc=search

I don't know where you are, but I'd look for some really fresh berries, from a farmer's market or something similar.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion.
In reply to the other one, i really don't know what she likes, i have asked, but she says it depends on her mood, and stuff.
I am a bit frightened she may not take to the pork.
Any other simple but elegant suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestion.
In reply to the other one, i really don't know what she likes, i have asked, but she says it depends on her mood, and stuff.
I am a bit frightened she may not take to the pork.
Any other simple but elegant suggestions?

You could do the same recipe with boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Ask her if she has any dietary restrictions, so you don't have to guess at what she can't or won't eat :)

The chicken sounds like a much better idea :chef:
Could you please give me direct instructions to this, so i cant go wrong ?
Thankyou :LOL:

Grilled Chicken Dijon

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat grill. In a small bowl, mix together mustard and thyme. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Brush half of mustard mixture over one side of chicken breasts. Place chicken on grill with mixture side down and brush remaining mixture on second side of chicken. Grill 5 minutes, turn chicken over, and grill 4-5 minutes more till chicken is done, using an instant thermometer to check doneness - temp. should be 165 degrees F.

Hey Chef! Listen to your Uncle Bob. The lady will be wowed with anything you cook for her! Just the fact that you did anything will make her happy! Don't give up on trying to find out what she likes!! Hey be discreet, and ask her mother. If ya fix one of her favorites then it will be double WOW!!

Good Luck & Have Fun!!!!!

I've always found Angel Hair to be really good, and nice-looking if you prepare it right. Think olive oil sauce and some grilled chicken strips + vegetables, perhaps with some garlic bread and a bottle of wine...she'll be swept off her feet!

Good advice check with her mother first.. But here is a suggestion get some good fresh French or Italian bread, a little Brie cheese do a simple sautee of chicken tenders with mushrooms, a spinach salad with a store bought dressing.. cut the bread and butter it and toast or grill in a skillet and spread the Brie on it for a starter for a nice side some cous cous in chicken stock desert Berrys and cream Go git em tiger

Grilled Chicken Dijon

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat grill. In a small bowl, mix together mustard and thyme. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Brush half of mustard mixture over one side of chicken breasts. Place chicken on grill with mixture side down and brush remaining mixture on second side of chicken. Grill 5 minutes, turn chicken over, and grill 4-5 minutes more till chicken is done, using an instant thermometer to check doneness - temp. should be 165 degrees F.

If you take these off the grill at say around 155 degrees and place a "tent" of foil over them - the tent will look like this - ^ - the cooking process will carry over and the temperature will increase about 10 degrees. If you take them OFF at 165 they will be overcooked.

Another good recipe is to mix honey, Dijon, and some dried tarragon. Toss the chicken in it then grill.

A simple salad with say some baby greens, red onion (if you dare eat them on a first "date") fresh strawberries cut in slices, toss in some blueberries, some canned mandarin oranges (save the juice for the dressing) and make a dressing out of

3 TBS red wine vinegar
a pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
a couple TBS of the juice left over from the mandarin oranges
1/2 tsp. sugar
Blend with a whisk until the salt and sugar have melted
While continually whisking (someone may have to hold the bowl) slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup plus 1 TBS of olive oil - don't stop whisking - this will keep the dressing emulsified.

When you are ready to serve just toss your greens with some dressing (don't pour on too much though) then when you plate it add your fruit to the top in a decorative manner or just place on top to show them off.

It's a lot of words but it's certainly not hard. You can make the dressing a day ahead and keep in a jar in the fridge. Just thoroughly shake when ready to use.

The grilled bread (with brie or havarti - she might like havarti better only because it is very buttery tasting - if she is picky brie might not be her thing) can certainly be your starch and it will be easy to do while your chicken is tented and continuing to cook. All I did is lightly drizzle each side of my cut bread with olive oil. Once I turned the bread over I placed a slice of havarti on top. Once it started to melt I took it off. It helps to close the cover of the grill - the cheese will melt that way. Watch closely!!

Ok thanks a bunch!
All these ideas are really amazing.
Also one more thing, i found out of her best friend that she loves pineapple, now what could i do that with? In a dessert, or could i put it somewhere in the main course?

If you marinate some chicken breasts in equal parts teriyaki, pineapple juice, and white wine (I guess someone will have to buy the white wine for you) say for about 24 hours you can also marinate some pineapple rings in the same mixture but use a different bowl as you don't want them in with the chicken.

Grill up both. Serve over/with a rice pilaf - Near East makes a good one that is easy! Some sort of veggie and salad and you're home free - bread if you like - grilled. Place rice on plate, place chicken on top or slightly off to the side, and pineapple ring on top of chicken.

If you really want the chicken to come out tender marinate them FIRST in buttermilk for 3 days then the mixture for 1 day. They won't go bad - they will be great!!!!

Another possibility is pasta :) if she's one to watch her weight, there are many simple pasta dishes you can whip up such as spaghetti with basil and cherry tomatoes in olive oil.

Edit: Heck, throw in some pineapples too!

200g Spaghetti
20 Cherry tomatoes
3 Canned Pineapple Rings, roughly diced (chunks)
Fresh whole basil leaves
60ml Extra virgin olive oil
20ml Balsamic vinegar
Salt to taste

1. Boil the pasta in at least 2L of salted water for about 8 mins, or al dente 2. Drain pasta and rinse well under cold water and set aside
3. Chop 10 tomatoes in half and place in a large bowl
4. Place remaining tomatoes in the bowl, and squash with a fork (try not to make them too messy, and leave them as whole as possible)
5. Add basil leaves. Careful not to use too much. You can always add more as required
6. Add pineapple, oil and vinegar
7. Add pasta, toss, season and serve

Revelation: If using Firefox, No Script stuffs around with your message's formatting =\

Last edited:
Another possibility is pasta :) if she's one to watch her weight, there are many simple pasta dishes you can whip up such as spaghetti with basil and cherry tomatoes in olive oil.

Spaghetti is a bit hard at a barbeque. The strands keep falling through the grill. :LOL:

Here's a pineapple based recipe I use for pork, but can also be used for chicken. In fact, you could scarp the chicken and get some boneless pork chops or ribs instead.

CHEF CAINE'S POLYNESIAN PIG-OUT

4 boneless pork chops, pounded thin

Marinade

1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup pineapple vinegar
1/4 cup sesame oil
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp minced onion
10 cracked red chilis
2 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp salt

Coating

1 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup finely crushed macadamia nuts

Chutney

1 small green mango, diced
1/3 cup pineapple, diced
3 Tbs red onion, diced
1/2 small red bell pepper, diced
2 tsp lemon juice
2 Tbs Pineapple vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
4 scallions, sliced

Combine pineapple juice, teriyaki sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar, pepper, garlic, onion, chilis, minced ginger, and salt in bowl and marinate pounded pork chops for at least 2 hours, but best overnight. Remove pork chops from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Discard marinade.

Dredge pork chops in flour, egg mixture, then crushed macadamias. Grill pork chops 3 to 4 minutes per side, turning once. Place one chop on each plate and top with chutney.

ETA: If you can't find pineapple vinegar (I get mine at the 99¢ Only Store), use rice vinegar.

Last edited:
Whatever you attempt, try cooking it a day or two before she comes over for yourself to make sure the recipe comes out okay. You don't want to try something for the first time and have it come out poor when you are entertaining.

Whenever my wife and I have guests over for dinner, we generally like to stick to stuff we know we can make well, and save the new recipes and experimenting for ourselves.

Pineapple vinegar is popular in Mexico and Central America, which is most likely why I can find it in my 99¢ Only Store. I live in a predominently Latino neighborhood.

If you are looking for something else to go with the chicken, baked potatoes are really easy, too.

How about kabobs? You can thread small chunks of chicken breast, pineapple chunks, cherry tomatoes onto a skewer and grill quickly. Baste with a little pineapple preserves 5 minutes before they're done. If you have a local Wal-Mart you can get metal kabob skewers in the kitchen supply section. Serve with french bread, buttered and cut-side toasted on the grill, then cut into narrow slices. Add a nice green salad like someone earlier said. Keep it simple, kiddo, for the first time.

And, keep this in mind: She's a GIRL. She nurtures. If you burn something she might be a lot more understanding than you think. You're in there trying. That's all we women want, really.

Back
Top Bottom