Roasted tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnysmile

Cook
I am getting my harvest of garden tomatoes in now, but there are not Roma tomatoes. All the recipes I've seen for roasting call for Romas. Has anyone made them with just thick slices of regular tomatoes? Just wondering if I should try it or not.

I have roasted tomato halves to use as a side with whatever entree. I think that if you are going to make them into a sauce, you can roast any kind of tomato that you want. Am I right, anyone?

You can roast any tomato and make a sauce with it. Roma (plum) tomatoes are typically prefered because they have more meat and less liquid, but the roasting will make that unimportant as it cooks off a lot of the liquid and leaves the meat.

I roasted Beefsteak tomatoes this summer, and they turned out great. I wanted them for tomato sauce, so I cut them into 2" chunks, removing the extra pulp and seeds as I went, then spread them out on a foil covered baking sheet. I topped them with chopped onions and garlic, seasoned the with salt, pepper and oregano, drizzled olive oil over all, and roasted in 250 oven for about 3 hours.
Beefsteaks are very meaty tomatoes, hence the name. You could do it with less meaty tomatoes, but you will have more waste.

I have a great recipe for oven-roasted tomatoes and can't remember if I've posted it here. I'll have to look. It's great and I've used all sorts of tomatoes for the recipe with complete success. I love the sauce and substitute it for commercial tomato sauce in recipes. I always make sure to cook up a big batch so I can can it. I have a friend who likes it so much, he practically drinks it with a straw. I gave him some for Christmas one year and you'd think I'd given him the moon.:LOL:

I have oven roasted them as well, I had an overflow of tomatoes this year as well.

Cut in half and seeded. Drizzle a bit of evoo on them. Tossed a garlic glove or two in with it as well as an onion wedge. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and perhaps some dried oregano and roast very low (around 200 or 250) for a couple of hours. Get the food mill out, dump in contents and you end up with a wonderful tomato sauce!!!

beefsteaks roast very well for sauce or just as a hot veg. core and stuff the center with bread, feta, herbs, etc. 325 1 hr drizzled with olive oil. delish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom