Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cakes & Cupcakes (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/)
-   -   Katie's Black Devil's Food Cake TNT (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/katies-black-devils-food-cake-tnt-37885.html)

Katie H 08-30-2007 11:12 AM

Katie's Black Devil's Food Cake TNT

Sorry, BettyR, I promised I'd post this several days ago, but time got away from me. Here's the chocolate cake recipe I told you about:

KATIE’S BLACK DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE
(Serves 10 to 12)
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
cup cocoa
tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 egg
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 cup boiling strong coffee

Grease and flour one 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Set aside.

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add egg, oil and milk and stir until well blended. Gently stir boiling coffee into mixture. This will make a very thin batter. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. Frost as desired or serve dusted with powdered sugar. Note: To make sour milk, stir 1 tablespoon lemon juice into 1 cup milk. Let stand a few minutes to allow the milk to curdle.

Enjoy!

Alix 08-30-2007 12:34 PM

Oh Katie this looks luscious. I may have to make this today. I have a cup of buttermilk I need to use up.

Katie H 08-30-2007 12:37 PM

It's wonderful, Alix. And when I say black devil's food, I mean BLACK! It's like coal. And so moist you won't believe it.

Alix 08-30-2007 12:43 PM

Thats how I like them! Thanks again Katie. I may incorporate this cake into my famous chocolate torte if it works out well.

BettyR 08-30-2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie E (Post 476597)
Sorry, BettyR, I promised I'd post this several days ago, but time got away from me. Here's the chocolate cake recipe I told you about:

KATIE’S BLACK DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE
(Serves 10 to 12)
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
cup cocoa
tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 egg
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 cup boiling strong coffee

Grease and flour one 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Set aside.

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add egg, oil and milk and stir until well blended. Gently stir boiling coffee into mixture. This will make a very thin batter. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. Frost as desired or serve dusted with powdered sugar. Note: To make sour milk, stir 1 tablespoon lemon juice into 1 cup milk. Let stand a few minutes to allow the milk to curdle.

Enjoy!

Thank you!! My son is asking for another one of those chocolate cakes, I'm going to give this one a try.

Thanks for the recipe.

carolelaine 08-30-2007 03:14 PM

Looks really good. I printed the recipe and am going to try it this weekend. Thank you

kadesma 08-30-2007 04:14 PM

Anyone making this cake for the first time, it is wonderful..My family just loves it. We serve it with just a dusting of powdered sugar...
when it is all put together before baking, it will look watery, don't think you did something wrong, pop it in the oven and bake, and be prepared to not want to share it:lol: It is the BEST!
kadesma

licia 08-30-2007 04:55 PM

This may be our Labor Day dessert. We still have triple chocolate ice cream and the kids would love all that chocolate. They can all go home right after dessert.

mudbug 08-30-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by licia (Post 476761)
They can all go home right after dessert.

Without helping with the washing up first?

Vegas Girl 08-30-2007 05:53 PM

Can you taste the coffee?