Katie's Black Devil's Food Cake TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi
Just wondering if this frosts well? I'm wanting to make a dinosaur cake with mousseline buttercream and this recipe sounds divine, but i'm not sure it would hold well?

Hi
Just wondering if this frosts well? I'm wanting to make a dinosaur cake with mousseline buttercream and this recipe sounds divine, but i'm not sure it would hold well?
This cake is wonderful with just a lite dusting of powdered sugar. It is great with frosting but stands on it's own without..My family loves it..It's dark, rich, moist and and enjoyable.
kadesma:)

i think i will try this soon. do you have to boil the coffee? doesn't that make the coffee bitter?

i think i will try this soon. do you have to boil the coffee? doesn't that make the coffee bitter?
I have some espresso powdered coffee, I use that in hot water, it's strong and gives a boost to a wonderful cake.
kades

I saved some hazelnut coffee from breakfast this weekend and I'm going to heat it up in the microwave until it's steaming hot, then use it in the recipe. I've done that many times with many other different kinds of coffee. It's my recipe anyway, so...enjoy!!

Now you've gone and done it! You're hooked. It's easy to just keep eating it. It freezes wonderfully, too. Glad you like it. I have some leftover coffee in the fridge that has that cake's name on it.

I've even cut the recipe in half and baked it in an 8- x 8-inch pan. Comes out great.

I did not need to know that this cake comes out great in an 8 x 8 inch pan. Sometimes you can have too much good information!! LOL

I just put two of the cakes in the oven. Well, actually divided the batter equally between two 8-inch square pans. I'm going to save one for me and take the other one to my brother's house for supper tonight. He's been wifeless the last several days and we're going to grill out together tonight. He grew up enjoying the cake and I thought it would be a fun thing to bring for dessert.

Sure smells good here right now.

i made your cake katie. it is so moist and yummy!! we served it with cherry pie filling on top.

img_823166_0_ea81401f2292f2a840d28800c046030c.jpg

I warn you...it's addictive. Any time we had leftover coffee Buck always said, "There's enough for "the" cake." Glad you enjoyed it. It's definitely a keeper.
thank for the recipe. i used my special coffee bean blend. have you ever tried it with cherry topping? it's so good sorta almost black forrest cake. i love chocolate covered cherries but this is better!! :LOL: i wanted to whip some cream to top the cherries but no one wanted to wait!!

I've discovered over the years that this cake lends itself to all manner of toppings/frostings. Just go with it.

Originally, this cake was served with a thick fudge frosting. Really good, but it stands so well on its own, it really doesn't need it. The cherries are a wonderful accompaniment. Yep, just like Black Forest cake.

It's also good "chunked" in parfait glasses and drizzled with liqueurs. Raspberry for sure, then topped with some whipped cream.

Oh, crap! Now I want some of this cake.:wacko::ROFLMAO:

I've discovered over the years that this cake lends itself to all manner of toppings/frostings. Just go with it.

Originally, this cake was served with a thick fudge frosting. Really good, but it stands so well on its own, it really doesn't need it. The cherries are a wonderful accompaniment. Yep, just like Black Forest cake.

It's also good "chunked" in parfait glasses and drizzled with liqueurs. Raspberry for sure, then topped with some whipped cream.

Oh, crap! Now I want some of this cake.:wacko::ROFLMAO:
LOL i think i am making another tomorrow it's almost gone!! i gotta use up the rest of the buttermilk. and the heavy cream.

If it's any consolation, I've also made it and divided it into 2 square (8- x 8-inch) pans, disposable ones, and stored the baked cakes in the freezer in the pans...for a "cake emergency.":LOL::LOL:
:LOL::LOL: that would never fly here!! hmmmmmmmmmmm i like frozen pound cake dipped in milk. this cake frozen dipped in milk? it would be heaven!!

Back
Top Bottom