Homemade tomato sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I've been inundated with romas, so I decided to take a crack at a homemade sauce.

15-20 Boiled, peeled roma tomatoes roughly chopped
1 finely chopped onion
1/2 c. whole basil leaves
4 cloves garlic, smashed
4 T olive oil
1 c red wine
S&P

Heat oil at a very low simmer and add the basil and garlic. Not to cook or brown, just to flavor the oil. After 15 minutes discard the basil and garlic, bring heat to med/hi and saute the onions until transparent. Again, not to brown.

Add the tomatoes and wine. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 90 minutes stirring occasionally. Once the tomatoes are somewhat broken down, I use a fine potato masher to break up any larger pieces.

Remove the lid and reduce for 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Season with S & P.

How do you make yours?

Last edited:
I hear you on the romas...

the only thing I add to that is a bay leaf, and maybe a dash of oregano, a hot pepper, pinch of sugar, other than that, it's the same:LOL:

Here's how I do it and if it sounds different it's because it is. :cool: On the Saturday before Labor Day, tomorrow in fact, I will find my old canning kettle and take it out to the garden. There I will fill it with tomatoes. Then I will wash the tomatoes and the kettle, chop the tomatoes and add them to the pot, skins, seeds and all. Next I will chop four large green bell peppers that have been de-seeded. I will add a couple of hot peppers too like Hungarian Wax or Cayenne or whatever is hanging around the garden. I will chop them seeds and all and add to the pot. Two large white onions finely chopped go in the pot next followed by a head of garlic where the clove have been appropriately smashed. I will throw in some oregano and basil and of course salt and fresh ground black pepper. Then I will add water to cover.

The next step involves me getting out the propane cooker that I use to heat oil for turkeys or wings or fish and set that up on the patio. (Otherwise my wife gets cranky if I make large quantities of tomato sauce inside:angel:. ) Then I set the pot on the burner and begin to simmer. I will drag out a TV and turn on the football game. I will drag out a few beers and let the simmering begin. About halftime after the stuff has begun to cook up I will run it all through a food mill. Then the resultant sauce will go back into the pot for final reduction. That's until about the end of the game, maybe longer. This is usually a six to ten beer event. When the sauce has sufficeintly cooled I will freeze it in zipper top storage bags in amounts suitable for single meal use. I hope this helps. If not thanks for the reminder.:chef:

I make my sauce pretty much the same way as you Jeekinz.

I just made a small quick sauce the other night to go over some Rotini for a quick and easy pasta salad type side dish. I had 4 Roma’s that needed to be used, so I halved them, coated with EVOO, salt, and pepper, and then roasted them in the toaster over for 30-45 minutes at 350. When they cooled, I peeled them and stuck them in a food processor with a splash of white wine.

Then, sautéed some onion in EVOO till translucent, added some minced garlic, basil, and oregano, and then the puréed Romas and a little more wine. Simmered covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered to desired thickness. Poured this over a dish filled with Rotini, black olives, crab meat, and parmesan cheese. Mixed well, and then covered it to keep it warm. It made a pretty good side dish to the steaks and broccoli we had.

Last edited:
It removes most of them. I cut out the bad spots and stir the pot frequently and this will help the skin seperate. Then I will strain the liquid through the food mill. The solids left in the pot get mashed by the mill and pushed through so it doesn't remove them entirely but all the big lumps are gone.

Thanks

I've just picked way too many tomatoes, peppers, onions...the things that make sauce wonderful...basil, etc. I came across Jenkinz's recipe for sauce and it is now in the works! Thank you so much. I'll let you know the results but I'll tell you right now....my kitchen smells GREAT!
Red's Kitchen

We're on the same page, you and I with the exception of the onions and the wine. I leave the onions for the salad and wine in the glass!

Did you put any tomatoes up?? I got 10 1/2 quart jars to use this winter! The plants are definitely slowing down now.... Only about a dozen or so left on each plant.

Also, I don't bother with the peeling, just seeding.

Jeekinz... try the roasted version, it is awesome and brings out a flavor that you can't get by boiling. What ever flavors you would like to incorporate with your sauce, just toss on the cookie sheet and roast along with your tomatoes. I roasted mine at a much lower temp than Keltin, around 250 for about an hour or so. The food mill does a great job and I have yet to experience any skins in my sauce.

Can't wait to hear how it all turns out!

Jeekinz... try the roasted version, it is awesome and brings out a flavor that you can't get by boiling. What ever flavors you would like to incorporate with your sauce, just toss on the cookie sheet and roast along with your tomatoes. I roasted mine at a much lower temp than Keltin, around 250 for about an hour or so. The food mill does a great job and I have yet to experience any skins in my sauce.

Can't wait to hear how it all turns out!

Exactly, Sattie. That's why I posted a link to my recipe:

KATIE’S OVEN ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
(Makes about 3 cups)

5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 lbs. Roma or plum tomatoes, cut lengthwise in halves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons

Generously brush a large baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
Season the cut sides of the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Place, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Brush the skins with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Bake in a preheated 450º until the tomato skins are lightly browned and the tomatoes are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely. Pull the skins off the tomatoes and discard.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the garlic and red pepper in a small skillet over medium heat until the garlic has softened but has not browned, about 2 minutes. Puree the tomatoes, pan juices and garlic oil in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Process until the basil is uniformly distributed through the sauce. Note: The sauce can be prepared up to 3 days ahead, cooled, covered, and refrigerated or frozen for up to 2 months. It can also be canned using a water-bath. Fill clean sterilized jars, leaving ½-inch head space. Process pints for 15 minutes.

Ooooohhh Katie, the addition of pepper flakes sounds awesome!!! I did not even think of that. My sauce had a sweetness to it which would go great with the bite of the pepper flakes!! I'm gonna give your recipe a try, it looks like it would be wonderful!!!

I already made the recipie I posted, but I still have a ton of tomatoes coming. I'm definately doing the roasted version next. (which may be my excuse to get a food mill, although I'm not a gadget fan)

I LOVE my food mill. It is not so more a gadget as a necessity at this point.

I bought a tomato press from Lee Valley Tools. It is like a food mill but it allows you to operate it continuously since it has a separate port for seeds and skins and a pan for the pulp. So far I estimate I have processed 15 lbs of romas to make puree.

I had a recipe that called for blanching first so you removed the skins before roasting it was for about 30 romas split cored then basil pesto in the halves before roasting came out very good. I think it was from the food network.

MJK I was so focused on processing the tomatoes I hadn't thought of making sauce but I know it crank out with this tomato press. I think I'll try it with the next 6 pounds. The box says you can use it for all fruits and veggies. Hope the garden holds out it is starting to fade.

My food mill somehow wouldn't work whewn I made sauce a week or so back, so I skinned and seeded by hand. :mad:

I have a ton of ripe romas (plus assorted other ones) so will make sauce on Sunday again.

Jeekinz do you really boil your tomatoes? I just dip them in hot water since i don't want them to cook before I make them into sauce.

My food mill somehow wouldn't work whewn I made sauce a week or so back, so I skinned and seeded by hand. :mad:

I have a ton of ripe romas (plus assorted other ones) so will make sauce on Sunday again.

Jeekinz do you really boil your tomatoes? I just dip them in hot water since i don't want them to cook before I make them into sauce.

I stick mine in boiling water too - only for a minute or so. They don't cook at all. You make an x at the base (not very deep) and when the x starts to curl you remove them and dip them in iced water and peel right off. I'll have to dry dipping in hot water - do you x them the same way? Just hot tap water?

I stick mine in boiling water too - only for a minute or so. They don't cook at all. You make an x at the base (not very deep) and when the x starts to curl you remove them and dip them in iced water and peel right off. I'll have to dry dipping in hot water - do you x them the same way? Just hot tap water?

I dip mine in boiling water (without Xing) for no more than 10 seconds and the skins slip off in one piece.

Even a minute cooks them too much for me. I guess I find the meat too mushy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom