Is my scale broken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brittany

Assistant Cook
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot on the forum, but recently I've been having different numbers show up about every other day when I weigh myself.

One week ago, I was at about 135 pounds. I ate alright that day, and did only a half mile run. The next day, I got out of bed, ate really poorly and didn't exercise at all. But when I weighed myself, I weighed about 130 pounds! And the next time was around 132.

I know that the time of day can matter, and if you are wearing heavy clothing, but I try to be consistant about it. So, why is this happening?

It could be any number of things. Your scale could be flakey. It could be the positioning of your feet on the scale (assuming it is one of those small bathroom scales). It could be the floor you're on (never put it on carpet, and make sure the floor is level). It could be your hydration and how much fluid you are retaining or evacuating. It could be how much undigested food is in your intestinal system waiting to be processed and evacuated. Lots of things.

But, more important than the number you see on the scale is how you look in the mirror. That should be your judge. Numbers on a scale can be absolutely meaningless. A person that weighs 135 pounds and is 6’ 2” is very thin, but at 4’ 8”, they are larger. Further, even when you take into consideration height with the number, you must also consider bone density and fat content. A professional athlete can be 5’ 11” and weigh 250 pounds, but at 8% body fat, he is a body builder packing a lot of muscle (muscle weighs more than fat and occupies less space).

If you’re concerned about your weight, I’d say hide the scale and only use it once every two weeks…..weighing yourself everyday will only lead to stress (which can lead to weight gain) and is really rather pointless due to natural daily fluctuations as you’re seeing now. Rely more on the mirror, how your clothes fit, and how you feel. A visual inspection is far more pertinent than the number on a scale. And when you do weigh yourself, do so sans clothing if possible.

Thank you Keltin! I'll definately take all of that into consideration next time!

I do believe that I'm healthy though, and I'm pretty sure that I look it.. and like you said, thats what matters. :)

You might want to test your scale by weighing a 5-pound bag of flour on it. If it weighs 5 pounds, your scale is accurate. Test it several times at different times just in case humidity, etc. has any influence on your scale. Of course, humidity can influence flour and cause it to take on moisture, but I don't think enough to make a difference in how your scale reads.

I do believe that I'm healthy though, and I'm pretty sure that I look it.. and like you said, thats what matters. :)

Absolutely! ;)

And if you want to check your scale, get a gallon milk jug and fill it full of water. A gallon of water weighs 8.3 pounds, so that is an easy way to calibrate and test the scale.

Altough my weight can flucuate by 3 pounds in either direction, I never worry about it. I have weighed 200 pounds, naked, for the last five years now, but I don't know if that scale in front of the drug store is accurate.

water retension and loss can make a difference, too----case in point, if you go out the night before and feast at a crawfish boil you be swellin' up like tick on a dog. I sometimes have trouble getting my rings off the next morning----also, don't weigh yourself before that time of the month, either, as many women tend to retain fluid and our temperaments are not so hot to begin with--it'll only make you feel worse...my doctor's office let's me come in and weigh myself during non-patient hours---their scales are far more accurate if you want to compare your scale :)

Weigh yourself at the same time of the day each time you weigh. I find second thing in the morning, and sans clothes to be the best time. Then everyday seems a bit much. Weekly is enough for me.

Thank you everyone!

I do agree that I should weigh myself less, and I will take the advice of testing the scale as well! :)

Altough my weight can flucuate by 3 pounds in either direction, I never worry about it. I have weighed 200 pounds, naked, for the last five years now, but I don't know if that scale in front of the drug store is accurate.
OMG Caine, I have a vision in my head that just won't go away now!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:)I think the morning is the best time to weigh yourself the most accurate but as said before water retention can be a factor.Even 5# either way is really not that unusual.

Back
Top Bottom