Katie's Favorite Oxtail Soup TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
This is a cool weather favorite in our house. Hope you like it, too. Enjoy!

KATIE’S FAVORITE OXTAIL SOUP
(Serves 4)​
2 lbs. oxtails, cut into 1½-in. pieces
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (16-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained, or equivalent quantity of home-canned tomatoes, with liquid
1 (10½-oz.) can condensed beef broth or equivalent quantity of homemade broth
½ cup water
½ cup dry red wine
1 tsp. granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. dried thyme, bruised
1 bay leaf
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into julienned strips
4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into julienned strips
½ cup frozen peas

Trim visible fat from oxtails and dust with flour. In a soup pot or Dutch oven, brown oxtails in hot oil. Add onion, tomatoes with juice, beef broth, water, wine, sugar, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is just tender. Skim off excess fat. Add carrots and parsnips; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add peas; cook about 5 minutes or until peas are heated through. Serve immediately. Note: Don't be tempted to leave the parsnips out. They add an important flavor "note" to the soup. Even people who don't like parsnips, like this soup.

Katie! You are girl after my own heart!!! I adore oxtails but have to tell my husband they are short ribs - the term "oxtail" just makes his stomach turn! I just don't point out the fact that they are ROUND! lol

I have this copied and printed and will be making it VERY soon! THANK YOU! And I LOVE parsnips - my mother always put them in her chicken soup.

MMMMMMMMMMM - now where is that cool-ish weather????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom