NJ - Hoboken ... Italian Festival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
http://www.hobokenitalianfestival.com/For everyone in northern NJ or NYC...or if you just feel like taking a ride to Hoboken!

The festival starts Thursday, 6 September and continues through Sunday 9 September. In addition to music each day there is a cannoli eating contest and fireworks on Saturday evening. There is a grape stomping contest on Sunday afternoon. The religious procession through the streets is also on Saturday.

Lou and I have been going the past two years and were ready to write it off after sitting in traffic for hours trying to get out last year. This year, we're taking the Bergen Hudson Light Rail from Weehawken for a 15 minute ride into Hoboken, and then just a half mile walk to Sinatra Park.

Good music, great food, fireworks, waterfront view of downtown NYC....it's a great time.

Last edited:
I wonder if this festival was the inspiration for the one they showed on the Sopranos. It looked like lots of fun.

vb, we go just about every year, but you're right; getting to it, parking, and getting out are an unbelievable p.i.t.a.. public transit isn't a bad idea. in fact, taking trains and buses is quite exciting to a toddler and a cabin-fevered mommy.

thanks for the heads up. there's a lot of italian festas going on this weekend. the best food we've had, besides hoboken, is at the church by vitamia's, mt. st. virgin. i think they're this weekend as well. they have great brasciole, and even trippa.

if we're going to 'boken, i'll pm you so that we may hook up, ok?

I wonder if this festival was the inspiration for the one they showed on the Sopranos. It looked like lots of fun.

I'm not convinced the inspiration came from this particular festival...the Feast of San Genaro in Little Italy NYC would probably be a closer bet.. Either way, these Italian festivals happen all summer long from Boston to Philadelphia.

vb, we go just about every year, but you're right; getting to it, parking, and getting out are an unbelievable p.i.t.a.. public transit isn't a bad idea. in fact, taking trains and buses is quite exciting to a toddler and a cabin-fevered mommy.

thanks for the heads up. there's a lot of italian festas going on this weekend. the best food we've had, besides hoboken, is at the church by vitamia's, mt. st. virgin. i think they're this weekend as well. they have great brasciole, and even trippa.

if we're going to 'boken, i'll pm you so that we may hook up, ok?

I love the idea of hooking up. From what I see, the weather is already promising to be lovely. More than likely, we'll be on a 6pm train out of Hoboken. I had close relatives that lived on Westminister Place in Lodi as I grew up. I've been to the church festival 'at the top of the hill' across from Vitamia probably every year when I was a kid. Let me know about Saturday.

I'm not convinced the inspiration came from this particular festival...the Feast of San Genaro in Little Italy NYC would probably be a closer bet.. Either way, these Italian festivals happen all summer long from Boston to Philadelphia.
They pretty much happen in Italian American communities all over the country. :) But for some reason the ones on the East Coast are more "famous!"

I never even knew this festival was in Hoboken. I went to Steven's way back when. We'd go to the San Gennaro festival each year but never was at the one right down the street. I guess I must have been drink.......I mean studying too much to go.

Michael

Central Jersey is right below Northern New Jersey.....take the train and come for some good food!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom