Jane's Cooking tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayne

Assistant Cook
non-stick ideas

Hi there!, before you measure peanut Butter, or molasses into a measuring cup, coat the cup with vegetable oil. the peanut butter or molasses will slide right out, making the cup easier to clean! Happy baking!

food too salty!

If you accidently over- salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop a peeled potato into it, and it will absorb the excess salt, for an instant fix!

sticky fingers!

when making Rice Crispy Treats, run your fingers under cold water before pressing the mixture into the pan.no more sticky fingers!!!

stained containers?

to prevent your Tupperware from getting stained,(from tomato- based sauces), spray your containers with non-stick cooking spray before adding the food. no more stained containers!

to keep celery longer!

To keep celery longer, wrap it in aluminum foil. it'll keep for weeks in your vegetable bin!

flouring baking pans

when a recipe calls for "flouring your cake pans", use a bit of your cake mix instead of flour, and ya' won't have that unsitely powder all over your cake!

for the kids!

before making your child an ice cream cone, stuff a miniature marshmellow into the bottom of the cone to prevent drips!(if the cone is already broken a bit, use a few!)

stained containers

stained containers

I especially like your tip about spraying the non-stick coating on plastic containers to keep them from staining. My plastic containers got really messed up from spaghetti sauce and the like so I'll give this one a try.

cookies

The marshmallow in the ice cream cone is one of the best! The little ones were forever "dripping" all over the car and this one is an absolute must! (Keep a little zip lock bag of them in the glove compartment for those surprise trips to the ice cream shop) !

When making chocolate cake, use powdered cocoa to "flour" the cake pans

flouring cake pans

What a great idea! I never thought of it and I seem to make chocolate cakes an awful lot. Thanks for the nice tip.

Cookies :)

Geez, Jane!

These are great!

Will have to sit down tomorrow sometime and try to throw a few ideas onto this thread on the same thought...

In the meantime, can we keep this thread "bumped up" to the top, and can we invite more responses?

Lifter

Just got another invite to subscribe to Cuisine at Home, and readers offer the following tips:

flouring a cake pan - use sugar instead

degreasing hamburger, sausage, etc. - "blot" the grease with a piece of bread while the meat is still in the pan. The bread heel works well

Place a folded towel between your pot and the lid when cooking rice. the towel will absorb the moisture from the steam instead of it condensing back on your rice (thereby preventing soggy rice)

Use rubber gloves instead of jar grippers to open stubborn containers.

With all due respect to Jane, hasn't the bit about adding a potato to reduce an oversalted dish been disproved & considered a myth?

I've never used the method myself, but do recall reading/hearing from various sources that it was false.

Back
Top Bottom