The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toothfaery

Assistant Cook
hi, i'm new here, just wanted to say hello

i joined looking for some inspiration...my fiance and i are about to set up home, and i need cooking tips!

all help greatly appreaciated

many thanks

annora/toothfaery

Hi Annora,
welcome to DC..We have many topics to look through and people who will help as soon as you pick what you would like help with..It's our pleasure to get you started

kadesma:)

Welcome to Discuss Cooking! I think the best thing you can do now is look around - especially under the Techniques forum. Do a search on mise en place here and in my opinion, it is one of the most useful tips to cooking there is.

Basically you pick out a recipe - measure everything and place in individual bowls (or grouped together if they are added at the same time during the cooking process). If your recipe calls for 1 large white onion chopped you do that before you ever start cooking. Line your ingredients up in order of their use from left to right. That way when you start cooking you know:

#1 - you have everything ready to go and nothing overcooks while you chop something else up or measure something.

#2 - you know for a FACT you have all the ingredients on hand.

#3 - in the end this saves a lot of time and heartache! :chef:

Just take a look around and if any specific questions come up just ask. There is the General Cooking Question forum for a lot of questions and then if it's a specific question that pertains to say, beef, it can go in the beef forum :chef::cool: The same goes for chicken, breads, desserts, etc.

Hi, annora. Welcome to DC. One of the best pieces of advice I can offer is to read your recipes all the way through before doing anything. Kind of like the quiz in high school when you got to the last question and it said, "Don't do any of the above." Best not to have any surprises when it comes to cooking, especially if you have any control over the situation.

Yes, I echo kitchenelf's suggestion of practicing mise en place...everything in its place. This technique will hold you in good stead no matter what you are preparing. It's one of the best ways to ensure a good product and to help ward off failure.

Now, just start asking questions and, remember, there is NO dumb question. The only question that could fall into that category is the one you DON'T ask.

We're glad you've joined us. This is a great place for those interested in things "food" and fun as well.

Back
Top Bottom