Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Creative people, share your ideas? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/creative-people-share-your-ideas-38048.html)

ps8 09-07-2007 09:04 AM

Creative people, share your ideas?

OK, I need to get a gift, just one gift that's around $5. It's for a game that will be played at a women's mentoring meeting. There's always the obvious ideas, such as lotions, candles, starbuck's gift card, potpourri. But, I'd really like something different and unexpected and the opposite of ordinary obvious ideas. Unfortunately, my mind can only come up with ordinary, obvious "women" gifts. :lol: Any ideas you'd like to share??

kitchenelf 09-07-2007 09:47 AM

My mind is right there with yours - BLANK!!!!!

I'm drinking coffee - maybe I'll think of something soon!

Renee Attili 09-07-2007 09:50 AM

How about baking something. This is a cooking forum after all. Maybe banana bread or something a little more untraditional? inexpensive and the gift of time and flavor are always a hit.

ps8 09-07-2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee Attili (Post 479484)
How about baking something. This is a cooking forum after all. Maybe banana bread or something a little more untraditional? inexpensive and the gift of time and flavor are always a hit.

Very good idea, but I really don't have the time this time. My today and tomorrow are pretty much booked solid. :wacko: (and the meeting is tomorrow evening) I'll save this idea for next time!

Thanks!:chef:

jpmcgrew 09-07-2007 09:59 AM

:smile:How about one of those little herb garden kits with the little pots and seeds.OR a strawberry garden pot kit with seeds.

Andy M. 09-07-2007 10:12 AM

Go to a kitchen store and buy the most obscure gadget you can find for that price and everybody can try to guess what it is.

lyndalou 09-07-2007 10:33 AM

I like Andy's idea best.

TATTRAT 09-07-2007 10:43 AM

or a pair of windshield wipers? That is obscure.

keltin 09-07-2007 10:43 AM

Ok, here are some ideas. I’d suggest going to a closeout store like Big Lots, or to a Dollar Tree (everything costs a Dollar), or even Hobby Lobby and put together a gift pack of sorts. You could even do it at Wal-Mart

Some themes could be:

Movie Night – Get 1 or 2 $1 DVDs (the old classics like Hitchcock or old TV shows) and throw in some microwave popcorn.

Relaxation Pack – At the Dollar tree, get a wine glass, 2 candles, bath salts, and lotion.

Italian Tour – At Big Lots get a Vodka Pasta Sauce, bag of multicolored Pasta, jar of pepperoncini peppers, and a small smoked sausage (each item is $1 or less)

Appetizer pack - Smoked Summer Sausage, Cheese, and Crackers

South of the Border - Salsa, Chips, Jar of Jalapeños, Can of Cheese Dip

Goofy Grilling - Disposable Grill and a Can of Spam (good for a laugh)

---- Or just browse Big Lots for things like:

Emergency Kit – A kit containing aspirin, band aids, surgical tape, etc.....every house needs one

Manicure Kit – A small kit with clippers, nail file, cuticle pusher, etc.

---- or shop around for things like:

Exotic Teas from a coffee shop

Chocolate Candy from just about anywhere

Cookies from a Bakery, add coffee to go with it

Special Artisan breads from a bakery, add dipping oil for $1 from Big Lots

*amy* 09-07-2007 10:47 AM

I would go with practical items that everyone can use - preferably cooking/kitchen related, and in neutral tones:chef: If you have a 99 cent store close to you...

Glass pasta containers w locking lids

Oven mitts

Dishtowels

Silicone spatula or cooking utensils

Soup bowls/mugs - I found 4 neutral ceramic soup bowls. I have a few soup mugs, each one has a different recipe printed on the mug i.e. tomato soup, mushroom soup etc.

Salad bowls

Coffee mugs

Refrigerator magnets

Ramekins or dessert serving dishes. I found 4 white ceramic dessert dishes shaped like flower petals.

Food storeage containers w lids - for pasta, lasagna, rice etc

Suction hooks

Cutting board

Picture frames, scrapbooking kits/items

Walk around a 99 cent store, & you will find lots of gifting items.

Keltin, looks like we were posting around the same time. Great minds think alike.:smile: