What motivates you into your kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
For me, it's the pure enjoyment of looking in my "kitchen store" {aka pantry}, finding items I want to experiment with and then, creating something unexpected/new/different and therefore interesting.

For you is it the smell of what's cooking, the actuality of getting your hands on the food or in the food, the notion that 'everyone has to eat eventually' or your creative side too?

Let us know what makes you a person who ventures into the kitchen and why.

Happy cooking

Bringing something back that the recipient had thought was lost to them forever. My mother's brown sugar pie for my daughter who loved it when she was a young child. The special borsch for an exchange student who was homesick for her food. There was a surprised and delighted "It's just like back home!" Cooking Syrian for a dear friend and her family.

Her great grandparents were from Syria and her grandmother made the old recipes. As a young girl my friend always asked for the little meat pies. After several tries and about a dozen dishes in a cusine unknown to me I was sure I had found them and set off on the 300 mile drive with everything needed in the car. While I chopped parsley for taboule she did the recipe for the pies - skeptical - but she tried them. First batch out of the oven, as soon as it was cool enough to eat - an excited "That's it!"

After about four days of cooking for the extended family, plus all the things a family needs to do with three very active children, my friend and I were very tired sitting at the table after everyone had gone to bed. She was nibbling on some just baked Syrian date filled cookies, otherwise we were quiet.

Then she looked up and said, "David, grandmother has been gone nine years and it's like she's here."

Folks, it can not get any better than that. Many hours of trial and error in a hot little apartment kitchen had gone into being able to help her and her entire family prepare those meals. A lot of prayer also, a lot asking that her grandmother somehow be able to guide my hands. Maybe she did. The secret ingredient as you all know better than I is love. David

Last edited:
David, that's a lovely story. My dear friend is Lebanese and her mother was a wonderul cook. You brought back some great memories of days I spent in their kitchen when I was growing up and beyond.

I love trying new recipe (especially with picture) that looks delicious. And i'll be very glad if the result is (ehmm) not bad & the most important: Cold be eaten by me & my family :rolleyes: but..if the result opposite:wacko:, I'll make the same recipe & ask my self where is the mistake? that motivates me most to go to my kitchen

I just enjoy cooking, not fancy nor do I try new dishes very often. Enjoy cooking my families favorite meals (mine too) !

what... Other than Hunger you mean? :LOL:

I guess my main reason is that I love experimenting.

YT2095 said:
Other than Hunger you mean? :LOL:

I was gonna say, this funny feeling I get in my stomach sometimes too!:LOL:

I'm driven in the kitchen primarily by wanting to taste/eat the results of something new! Sometimes wanting to make something old better!

i work as an engineering manager, and my boss is a big time "you know what."

by the time i get home EVERY SINGLE DAY, i'm stressed & tired.

cooking is what relaxes me... and takes my mind COMPLETELY away from work.

Do I ever hear that!

i work as an engineering manager, and my boss is a big time "you know what."

by the time i get home EVERY SINGLE DAY, i'm stressed & tired.

cooking is what relaxes me... and takes my mind COMPLETELY away from work.

How do I know the feeling! Some people are jerks by nature, hard to figure. Glad you have the cooking outlet - I decided about two years ago to learn to cook - like from bottom up. I go at it in spurts, like a theme kind of thing where I go off to some part of the world in my kitchen and learn something about the food there, and the history and culture of the country. Right now it's Ukraine - great food, awsome history, and beautiful people with a bunch of problems. Won't you join me for some borsch?

Oh yes, once upon a time in a place I would just as soon forget I worked as an engineering manager. The boss literally thought that engineers were a dime a dozen. Of course he couldn't recognize one if his life depended on it. Turns out his company did depend on advancing their technology but he realized it a bit too late. I almost put a smiley face there but alot of good people got hurt in he fall. D

:)I all depends if I see some fresh vegetable that looks great I buy it and then decide what to make,cooking for friends motivates me,trying a new recipe and lets not forget besides hunger I will get a craving for some thing and I hafto make it.When the weather starts getting cold I really like to cook and bake soup,stews and bake breads,coffee cakes any thing associated with cold weather as the cold weather gives me a ton of energy as opposed to hot weather.I adore making french onion soup in the winter I dont know why but I make it alot.Maybe its from working in a ski area for 11 years where we made a huge pot of FO soup everyday.

Cooking, bread baking I love them..It's the thrill of watching my kids and dh eat with gusto,smiling,laughing, teasing me and each other. It drives me to have a sunday meal each week..Often during the week as well.But watching the grandkids, fall on a piece of grilled corn, chew on a chicken leg, go emmm on homemade ravioli and gravy,or Cade giving me a thumbs up for something I made just for the kids, that is the pleasure of it all.One of the very best things for me was having my DH and his twin brothers sit down to a meal that their mom use to make for their birthdays every year,,Watching them take a bite of this and of that the looks on each of their faces and then the, look at each other and hear them say, Ma, this is just like mom use to make for us..Thank you..even if you hate cooking that pat on the back is worth all the work and gives you something to goad you on to bigger and better meals.Meals with love..
kadesma

I'm a very detail-oriented person and Buck says the most organized person he knows. As a result I love the detail and, sometimes, precision of cooking. I enjoy the mincing and chopping and appreciate mise en place almost as art.

It's exciting to me to enter the kitchen with a specific cooking task in mind and can't wait to hear the sizzle and bubble and smell the wonderful aromas that soon follow. Baking bread is nothing short of perfume of the gods. I love it and can't wait for the weather to be more agreeable so I can make bread more often.

As others have already mentioned, cooking is an outlet that allows me to escape from the stresses of the everyday world. Much better than popping a tranquilizer.

Like Tattrat said, it helps to clear my mind. I typically either watch tv or listen to music while cooking. I find cooking to be very relaxing.

It is therapy for me after working all day (as it was for mom), It is a way to connect with my past (mom dad, grandmom) or other places and cultures through ethnic recipes. It is creative for me, as well as spiritual, using the bounty of this earth in a good and proper way.

Back
Top Bottom